DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wolf, I don't have any components to sell, but was curious to know if Brusa NLG 503 (1.7kw) charger can be upgraded to NLG513, a 3.3kw charger. If it can be what are the components that need to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be possible...

They might only populate half of the power components...

If you open up the NLG503 and see empty footprints on PCB, and drilled and tapped holes on the heat spreader, then it is likely you could upgrade it by populating the missing power components. You might also need to solder or un-solder some 0-ohm jumpers to tell the microcontroller it is NLG513. And/Or also change the current sense divisor. And/Or update the firmware...

You could also get lucky and the NLG503 has identical components to the NLG513, and it is just a firmware change to upgrade it, (this is not likely, but does happen with a lot of commercial VFDs, in the same physical package). ;)

I don't have a NLG503, I do have a NLG513 (The one in the Azure Transit Connect), So I can't really compare the two with out some hi-res pics of the internals. If I had some pics, I could make a better informed answer.

Thanks,
Wolf

Wolf, I don't have any components to sell, but was curious to know if Brusa NLG 503 (1.7kw) charger can be upgraded to NLG513, a 3.3kw charger. If it can be what are the components that need to be replaced.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's me know if you want me too seems the original pics to your email address.

Looks identical to mine.

I think we would have to remove the processor board to see how many IGBTs are soldered in.

However, given that the transformers look identical...
I would guess that it is just a firmware change to enable the higher power.

The setting might actually be in the removable interface panel, where they put the name plate sticker.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Do you have some old non functional Solectria or Brusa parts sitting around the basement or garage?

I will buy them, and/or repair them if needed.

List of parts repaired:
http://www.wolftronix.com/EV.htm

Thanks,
Wolf
I have a NLG412 charger that is putting out low current, is it worth repair/purchase at this point? I still use it but longer charge times..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a NLG412 charger that is putting out low current, is it worth repair/purchase at this point? I still use it but longer charge times..
I think it is worth it to repair... but I am biased. ;)

There are 4 sets of caps that go bad over time, all the power flows through them, (The NLG4 is a zero crossing resonant power converter).

So you end up with 100%, 75%, 50%, or 25% output current as the different sets fail open. If any fail short, the main input fuse pops.

if you want the DIY repair:
I sell a NLG4 Replacement Capacitor board for $150.00 + $10.00 shipping:
http://www.wolftronix.com/store.html

This is the how-to repair a NLG4 charger video playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQdu_G7xyFIRALFu8YWRSfG0JKYqGg_6N

If you want me to repair it, then it is $300.00 plus shipping for me to swap out the capacitor board and check everything, replacing components and adjusting the voltage sense, as needed.

Thanks,
Wolf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts