DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to build a small EV using wheelchair motors & larger tires. Similar builds?

So I'm wanting to create a small EV using electric wheelchair motors, larger tires, and a modified frame from a wheelchair. This would seat one person (and might be a tight fit), but my goal is for it to be fairly speedy on the streets.

I was hoping to find similar threads on it, but I can't seem to find anything like I'm wanting to build.

To possibly find something similar, I thought about using much larger tires (think bicycle 24" tires) and tank like steering (4WD, LR & LF connected-RR & RF connected).

Is there anything out there that is similar to what I'm wanting to build?

Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: Wanting to build a small EV using wheelchair motors & larger tires. Similar build

So I'm wanting to create a small EV using electric wheelchair motors, larger tires, and a modified frame from a wheelchair. This would seat one person (and might be a tight fit), but my goal is for it to be fairly speedy on the streets.

I was hoping to find similar threads on it, but I can't seem to find anything like I'm wanting to build.

To possibly find something similar, I thought about using much larger tires (think bicycle 24" tires) and tank like steering (4WD, LR & LF connected-RR & RF connected).

Is there anything out there that is similar to what I'm wanting to build?

Thanks!
This yellow one was a lot of fun!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: Wanting to build a small EV using wheelchair motors & larger tires. Similar build

Awesome! Is there a build thread for this?
No, sorry, no build thread. It was only five days before the parade when I decided to build something with that wheel, so I didn't have time to stop and take pictures.

This is what happens if you don't use a big enough rear wheel.
https://youtu.be/WKAMus3oSdw

·
Registered
22 Posts

This is what happens if you don't use a big enough rear wheel.
https://youtu.be/WKAMus3oSdw
Hahaha! I might have preferred it that way!

THEMCV:
I am pretty new here and haven't seen anything quite like that in my browsing, but have a friend who is going to be building a go-cart for his son using electric wheelchair motors. I have access to quite a few Everest & Jennings 24V DC motors, a few controllers, and a lot of other power wheelchair electrical and mechanical parts (if you are looking for cheap parts and are close enough to central Canada for shipping). I would love to do an electric skateboard with one of these motors, but haven't had a chance for other projects lately.
For your idea, why do you want 4WD? If it is to get more power by using more motors, then I think you can achieve that with 2WD (or I guess 1WD as seen above). If it were me, I may also "steer away" from using the skid-steering you are describing for this vehicle that you want to drive at high speeds. Mechanical steering linkages seem to be a safe and reliable way of doing things, and it looks like ken will's unit has a nifty steering system on it.

For my friend's kiddie go-cart (or the go-dumpr as I want to call it since he is putting an electric lift truck box on it), we discussed using a wheelchair motor on each rear wheel, and bypassing the controller's steering pot to give equal torque to each motor. This would result in almost an electric limited slip drive. Since electric reverse is already built in to the controller with its own contactors, he will probably leave that as-is.
I haven't researched much yet into the max voltage ratings of the 24V Everest and Jennings controller internals, but if it is anything better than a cheap plastic 24V pocket bike I once had, then pushing it up to 60V or more would achieve some real performance. That plastic bike's new-found power was its ultimate demise when my room mate went down hard on some gravel and broke some essential plastic... I guess I am a fan of metal now.

Hope you find a design idea you like, and keep us updated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts