DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I am about to pull the guts out of my 92 Golf GTI EV conversion and transplant them to my 73 Porsche 914.

I am trying to source an adapter plate and coupler for the transaxle on the 914 to the Warp 9 that will be pulled from the donor.

Does anyone know if I can use the existing adapter plate and coupler from the GTI for the 914?

While drawings for the air cooled VW/porsche adapter plates are relatively easy to find online, I am having trouble finding anything that is specific to my Golf.

Imagine I will know as soon as I start pulling the ICE from the Porsche and the motor from the Golf, but would love to know from a planning perspective before hand.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Austin

·
Registered
2 Posts
No useful info to provide but I'm curious to know more about your MK2, do you have a build thread that I could peruse?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey @fakename -

I didn't do the original build. I bought it about a year ago and have been slowly upgrading it.

It has Enerdel 8 8s4p modules (~15 kWh lithium) Orion BMS + curtis controller + warp 9.

I added J1772 charging and a lot of CAN functionality, as that is what I do for work.

The MK2 is in remarkably good shape for its age, save the suspension which is sagging due to the original lead weight.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Does anyone know if I can use the existing adapter plate and coupler from the GTI for the 914?
M guess is that there is approximately zero chance that the bell housing pattern for a Golf matches the old air-cooled VW/Porsche pattern.

I did a Google search for "vw golf bell housing pattern": the first page match is a discussion in VW Vortex about bell housing interchangeability for various transverse water-cooled engines and they don't even mention anything air-cooled.

While drawings for the air cooled VW/porsche adapter plates are relatively easy to find online, I am having trouble finding anything that is specific to my Golf.
In my Google search the images clearly show a typical modern automotive pattern, not the VW/Porsche air-cooled setup.

Imagine I will know as soon as I start pulling the ICE from the Porsche and the motor from the Golf, but would love to know from a planning perspective before hand.
Good idea. :)(y)

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Since the 914 does not use the axle shafts as part of the suspension, there is no mechanical need to stay with the original transaxle. Since the 914 has a big wide space available ahead of the axle line (to accommodate the mid-engine, and achieved with trailing suspension arms of unusual proportions), it might be possible to fit the engine Golf powertrain - motor and transaxle - in the 914. It would be strange, and might not fit, but it might have packaging advantages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
M guess is that there is approximately zero chance that the bell housing pattern for a Golf matches the old air-cooled VW/Porsche pattern.

I did a Google search for "vw golf bell housing pattern": the first page match is a discussion in VW Vortex about bell housing interchangeability for various transverse water-cooled engines and they don't even mention anything air-cooled.

In my Google search the images clearly show a typical modern automotive pattern, not the VW/Porsche air-cooled setup.

Good idea. :)(y)
Awesome. Really appreciate your input on this.

The transmission in the VW has failing synchros on 2nd and likely should be rebuilt before too long, so I am hesitant to go that route.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks @Russco -

It looks like that one doesn't include a coupler nor mounting hardware. Both solvable problems, but noteworthy.

I am going to see if Electric Motorsport has anything in San Leandro, as that would be easy for me to visit.

Still curious to hear peoples opinions on manufacturing quality from various vendors.

Cheers
Canadian EV (Randy) had a whole bunch of adapters for many makes of cars including your air cooled Porsche. But the company seems to have sold to another party in a different location in British Columbia. So, who knows?

ZEVA (Ian) in Australia has retired last year. There aren't many EV suppliers left.

With an old worn out VW bug crankshaft, and gland nut, a good machine shop will be able to make the motor shaft adapter. You will also need a VW or Porsche flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Canadian EV (Randy) had a whole bunch of adapters for many makes of cars including your air cooled Porsche. But the company seems to have sold to another party in a different location in British Columbia. So, who knows?

ZEVA (Ian) in Australia has retired last year. There aren't many EV suppliers left.

With an old worn out VW bug crankshaft, and gland nut, a good machine shop will be able to make the motor shaft adapter. You will also need a VW or Porsche flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc.
I've called around and it seems like EV vendors are suffering supply chain woes like other manufacturers.

Maybe be worth exporting the worm crankshaft route. Thanks, Russco.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Austin,
I am converting a 914 and trying to get a CanadaEV adapter plate. My conversion will use the 901 transaxle and a HPEVS AC-50 motor. I have one recent quote from CanadaEV for $975 (part no. 5059) but the shaft adapter is not included. And I am seeking a quote from a U.S. Vendor (Electricmotorsport.com) for the entire CanadaEV kit but still awaiting word.
The project's design has veered from attempting a DIY adapter design to purchasing one. Consequently, I have an adapter plate design in a solid model if that is of any use to you. This was for a HPEVS AC-31 motor which I am not going to use.
Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi Austin,
I am converting a 914 and trying to get a CanadaEV adapter plate. My conversion will use the 901 transaxle and a HPEVS AC-50 motor. I have one recent quote from CanadaEV for $975 (part no. 5059) but the shaft adapter is not included. And I am seeking a quote from a U.S. Vendor (Electricmotorsport.com) for the entire CanadaEV kit but still awaiting word.
The project's design has veered from attempting a DIY adapter design to purchasing one. Consequently, I have an adapter plate design in a solid model if that is of any use to you. This was for a HPEVS AC-31 motor which I am not going to use.
Regards,
Bill
Hey @914EV

Yes! That would be of great use to me!

I was just about to fire up fusion 360 to draw out the transaxle, but I would love to use yours as a reference.

The HPEVS uses the same bolt pattern as the Warp, if I understand correctly.

I just contacted Richard at EV4U to see about sourcing coupler/adapter plate combo that he machines.

Good luck with your conversion, would love to see some photos!

Thanks for your help,

Austin

[email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey @914EV

Yes! That would be of great use to me!

I was just about to fire up fusion 360 to draw out the transaxle, but I would love to use yours as a reference.

The HPEVS uses the same bolt pattern as the Warp, if I understand correctly.

I just contacted Richard at EV4U to see about sourcing coupler/adapter plate combo that he machines.

Good luck with your conversion, would love to see some photos!

Thanks for your help,

Austin

[email protected]
I'll be emailing you shortly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts