DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Which type of pump do you use to water cool a 10kw golden motor?

I got no info about requirements and all. Since there will be many steep hills I'd like to water cool it really efficiently.

Thanks for the input!

Seb

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pump is one component of a cooling system. The vehicle is a significant factor as well.

Not enough info to even guess at an answer.
Hi,

First conversion is a Komodo UTV 1000cc. Original weight 530kg. It's now stripped from the front drive and all engine related stuff. My estimate is 400kg without the electric motor and batteries.

The motor to be cooled is a golden motor 10kw.72v lifepo4 100ah.

This UTV will be used on steep hills (this is why I choose the expansive bldc way : Regen).

I can't find the water cooling spec of this motor, still waiting for answers from the seller.

I was asking here since probably someone has already installed such motor and designed a cooling system.

If so : what pump specs should I look for? What size of radiator?

I know it's approximate value and answer but with experienced thought I will save a lot of time and money.

I don't want to use the original cooling system since it will by sold with the original engine as a kit and it's really really big!

Also, there is a vaccum line to the brake booster. They work without it. Do you think I can just cancel this vaccum or I need to recreate it with a 13v pump?

Thank you!

Seb

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Remember - you have zero regen with a full battery. So, on a hill, you need brakes.

If nobody's been there, done that:

Assume a 90% efficiency motor.

Now you need to figure out how many kW average continuous you will run at to climb the hill at your rated speed. Take 10% of that number to figure out how many kW you need to dump via the radiator. I'm going t guess at 30mph it's going to be about 750W.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember - you have zero regen with a full battery. So, on a hill, you need brakes.

If nobody's been there, done that:

Assume a 90% efficiency motor.

Now you need to figure out how many kW average continuous you will run at to climb the hill at your rated speed. Take 10% of that number to figure out how many kW you need to dump via the radiator. I'm going t guess at 30mph it's going to be about 750W.
Nice!

Thanks for the fast reply and approximation. I will use that to find the parts. I'll update with real temperature when assembled, next week if the motor arrives like it should.

I did not think about the efficiency of the motor, thx!

Seb

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coolant temperature at outlet of controller and pack. Radiator is optional.
I bought a power steering small radiator with a 12v pump. I will fit them if needed on the 10kw. I'll check the temp with/without.

I also bought a 12v vaccum pump with an auto pressure sensor and relay to feed the power brakes.

I'm really looking to drive that komodo. I think I will be surprised by the performance by a large margin.

The original 1000cc + cvt was really crappy.

🙃

1 - 9 of 9 Posts