DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW 325i Electric
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How have other conversions gone about dealing with wet weather in a custom EV? My controller and electrical connections are secured in waterproof boxes, but is the motor safe to be splashed? I would imagine not, and I also feel avoiding water contact in the firsts place for any component is ideal. Are there builds where people have created boxes in the engine bay to isolate all of the sensitive components?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
My controller and electrical connections are secured in waterproof boxes, but is the motor safe to be splashed? I would imagine not...
That depends on the motor. Motors from production EVs are at least splashproof; motors designed for forklifts are certainly not.

For a "forklift" motor, one approach would be to clamp on a housing which covers the open area intended for airflow, and has a fitting to attach a hose from a cooling fan. If the fan input has a filter and is mounted high, it won't be putting water into the motor.

·
Registered
2002 BMW 325i Electric
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a "forklift" motor, one approach would be to clamp on a housing which covers the open area intended for airflow, and has a fitting to attach a hose from a cooling fan. If the fan input has a filter and is mounted high, it won't be putting water into the motor.
I was thinking of something like that, forced cooling would be a plus as well. Should I be concerned with where the air is coming out? My motor has some large openings over the brushes and then a sort of mechanical fan at the faceplate that exhausts out the sides. I imagine the area near the brushes would be the most sensitive, but any idea if I need to find a way to shield that exhaust area?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts