DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and hats off to all of you that got here before me. I've been clinging on to IC for too long.

I'm English and have built, rebuilt, modified and indeed remodified kit cars. But now I live in France and all that is illegal! Here in the land of libertie (yes they got there first) there is no liberty at all. You might even think that we never got here to stop Hitler winning, but that would be getting into dangerous waters for a new member presentation. Suffice to say that one can not modify in any way a road car in this country and keep it on the road... Oh sorry, unless you are wealthy enough to spend the 15000 euros for testing and approval. Which I am not.

But I want a cheap electric runaround project to learn on before moving on to more interesting things.

And what did I find? A UK reg Renault kangoo van with no inverter /charger and no batteries.

Yep that's keeping it real! It has a couple of advantages, it is already an EV and registered as such, and as an E-van registered before 2015 it is mot exempt! Disantvantages, well its a Renault, its a van, and it doesn't work.

My quest is to find anyone who knows anything about the renault systems because I am failing to...

Regards to all.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Disantvantages, well its a Renault, its a van, and it doesn't work.
LOL :D

My quest is to find anyone who knows anything about the renault systems because I am failing to...
Sorry, I can't help there, but I did notice that Renault EVs (including the Kangoo) use an unusual motor:
Renault Zoe motor synchronous motor
It would be difficult to find an inverter/charger that would work with this, other than another one identical to the OEM Renault unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah, I read that post and pm'd the op but to no avail. There are just so many of this in the wild that I find it hard to believe nobody is working with them.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Hello and hats off to all of you that got here before me. I've been clinging on to IC for too long.

But now I live in France and all that is illegal! Here in the land of libertie (yes they got there first) there is no liberty at all.

Well it's old enough news not to be political, so I'll point out that the Athenians would most likely take objection to your claim that freedom first came to France. Most of the enthusiasm has drained from this forum (from a political debate standpoint) now that production EVs are becoming mainstream, and our resident lefties (probably a majority here) seem to have lost most of their enthusiasm for debate since Trump took office. Schadenfreude...

This used to be the "ChitChat" section of the forum and anything went - knock yourself out reading the thousand pages of "The Climate Debate."

But overall it's a very good resource and if you stay apolitical outside this section you will likely get good advice from anyone no matter their politics. There are some very smart people here who have probably faced any challenge you are likely to face.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll point out that the Athenians would most likely take objection to your claim that freedom first came to France.
I would never suggest that the French invented freedom (in fact I'm not sure anywhere has got that cracked just yet), I just meant before the USA and their gifted statue of Liberty.

Anyhow like you say, we're not here to worry about such asides. It is just quite painful to search the www for info on these Pesky Renault electric véhicule innards only to find virtually nothings and nobody, whilst coming across endless videos of all the amazing reverse engineering that has gone into tesla components. It is a startling reminder of the difference in attitudes between France and the States. Here in France, I ask questions about this sort of stuff the the answer is pretty often 'that's impossible'. Of course nothing much is impossible, some stuff is really hard, and sometimes not worth the bother. But impossible to change the battery on an eV? Jesus that's not very courageous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts