DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
My current plan is to get a Car frame, or cut a working car down to its frame, and build a custom fiberglass body around it. I plan on making the car as lightweight as I can, and so below 2000 pounds. I don't have a specific vehicle in mind at the moment, and I'll pick a base car later as I learn more about DIY EVs.
Okay, but essentially no cars have been built with separate frames for decades. If you are serious about going lightweight, you might consider kit cars or a homebuilt rather than trying to find a production car that you can re-body this way.

For now, just having a target weight in mind helps. But below 2000 pounds as an EV is a very aggressive target, unless you are talking about something with a very minimal body.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Don't know about 100MPH but my old square body S10 (aerodynamic as a concrete block) hit 85 with 1488 lbs of lead 6V batteries and a 500A controller. The speedo in it only goes to 85 so IDK if it would hit 100. It's since been converted to a 32kw LIfepo4 pack which dropped 860 lbs or so, and a Soliton1 which I used to destroy two ADC9 motors. Now on a Kostov11 which I'm still working out kinks. It has the potential but it's not there yet.

Acceleration and speed can each be augmented with proper drive train gearing but in that case, you will augment one at the expense of the other. Pack voltage and a big motor is akin to cubic inches in a gasser. More is better so long as everything in the system can utilize it.

There was a guy here during the Soliton era who had two of their 3000A Soliton controllers used to run two specially built 425V DC motors to drag race. Just spent 30 minutes reading about it, only to have the author omit the ending!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts