DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering purchasing an electric bike, but I would like to know more about the current market options ...

Based on my research so far, I have determined that most electric bikes that out for sale right now are racing style bikes, and they also have a limited range about a 1/3 of the range of a normal motorcycle.

Does anyone have any other input on the pros and cons of existing motorcycles?

How long would it take to recharge an electric motorcycle - especially if you drained the battery? I mean if you drove a motorcycle, and ran the bike until it was empty, you would have gone approximately 250+ miles, and you could spend 5 minutes at the gas pump and be on your way. How long would you have to park your motorcycle for the batteries to recharge?

You may say that you wouldn't do that because your bike has a limited range, but what happens if your batteries discharge to the point to where they were not holding a charge as it previously did (like nickel-cadium batteries - they have a memory) or a car battery starts to lose charge as it ages. How long would you be stranded while you are waiting for you motorcycle to recharge?

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I look forward to the discussion.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I mean if you drove a motorcycle, and ran the bike until it was empty, you would have gone approximately 250+ miles, and you could spend 5 minutes at the gas pump and be on your way.
Hi caes,

You must be a hard core biker :) Not many folks use motorcycles like that. I know some do, and for those, electric motor cycles (EMC) would not be a suitable choice. Neither are electric cars for those who need such a transportation vehicle.

I'd say with motorcycles, even more so than cars, the majority of use is for much shorter missions, like commuting, where 30 miles would be the distance covered in the trip. They also offer sport riding (for pleasure) which could be planned to be within the range.

If you're looking at an EMC, look for what it can do, not so much its limitations. It can offer a quiet, non polluting means to get from here to there and a chance to avoid the nasty gas station altogether. Yeah, maybe it takes 2 or 3 hours to charge your EMC battery, but I think you could find that a real convenience if done in your garage overnight. And yeah, maybe that battery in the EMC will only last 3, or 5, maybe 7 years, but in the mean time, you have no oil changes, no oil spots on your driveway, no engine rebuilds, and a much lower fuel cost.

Just like the electric car, the EMC won't handle everyone's every need. Just about 95% :)

major

1 - 2 of 2 Posts