DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. I've got a 2000 BMW 323i that I want to convert, but I am having trouble figuring out what batteries to use. I prefer range to acceleration/top speed, but my budget is in the $3000 range. Overall budget (including motor, BMS, charging system, etc.) is $6000-ish. Also, I am completely in the dark about what charging system to use as well.

I have been looking at a Tesla model S module or BMW i3 pack, possibly even Nissan Leaf pack. I don't exactly trust Chevy Volt packs, but then again, I have no idea what I am talking about.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Buy a lottery ticket. Your chances of getting a bad Bolt EV cell are around 280 ppB.

This was jumped all over by media that has fossil fuels sponsors/advertisers.

Do you know how many GM cars I see that are burnt to a crisp because of that crap plastic clip GM uses to hold the fuel line onto the injector fuel rail? A lot more than 12...

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Buy a lottery ticket. Your chances of getting a bad Bolt EV cell are around 280 ppB.

This was jumped all over by media that has fossil fuels sponsors/advertisers.

Do you know how many GM cars I see that are burnt to a crisp because of that crap plastic clip GM uses to hold the fuel line onto the injector fuel rail? A lot more than 12...
All valid, except that the Bolt battery issue really is serious news because the fix will cost LG $1.9 billion USD, and the requirement to produce the replacement cells will hold up production of new EVs. A replacement EV battery costs a lot more than a replacement plastic clip...

But I agree - the Bolt recall is not a significant reason to worry about Bolt modules (and not relevant to Volt modules at all).

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for that!

Just to be sure, the volt battery is the best way to start off. Right now my commute is only 30 miles round trip. It is more cost effective to upgrade a cheap pack than to mess up on an expensive battery. And I am sure I would somehow.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
^ All depends on what fits in the car to make the voltage, currents, and kWh you need.

^^ "Except"?

Nobody cares about "except"...it's GM's PR problem that the fossil fuels pigs are wallowing in, hoping to drive LG into bankruptcy. It will definitely slow their capex....mission accomplished.

A dozen cars out of 150,000, each carrying 288 cells. Problem identified.

For us...meh....gimme a pallet of the warranty pulls vs sending them to get ground up. So, no....not "except"....lottery ticket.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Nobody cares about "except"...it's GM's PR problem that the fossil fuels pigs are wallowing in, hoping to drive LG into bankruptcy. It will definitely slow their capex....mission accomplished.
GM, LG, Bolt owners, potential EV buyers, and the entire EV industry are not "nobody". The (rare) fault is not a problem for using modules from the Bolt or other LG modules, but it is a legitimate news item, not some anti-EV conspiracy... just as all of the media coverage of ICE recalls are legitimate news (and not some conspiracy by EV enthusiasts or anti-oil people). It's also orders of magnitude more expensive than a typical recall, so it particularly newsworthy.

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I am more concerned with safety than anything else. I'm not saying the Chevrolet Volt batteries are bad. It's the fact that there is a problem with GM's Ultium packs (used in the new Bolts, the Cadillac Lyric, and the GMC Hummer EV) that makes me cautious of purchasing that specific line of batteries. Now, that doesn't mean I am not open to advice. If multiple people (with a heck of a lot more experience) on this forum have suggested I use Volt packs, I will use Volt packs.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I guess I am more concerned with safety than anything else. I'm not saying the Chevrolet Volt batteries are bad. It's the fact that there is a problem with GM's Ultium packs (used in the new Bolts, the Cadillac Lyric, and the GMC Hummer EV) that makes me cautious of purchasing that specific line of batteries.
The Bolt - even the new generation - does not use Ultium modules, or the same cells as Ultium module (they're different sizes). To say there is a problem with modules in a model that hasn't entered full production yet and another one that isn't even close is nonsensical.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts