DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,...I put 'reverse' and 'run backwards' into the search bar and found more questions than answers!!!!

What determines if a motor can run in reverse?

can a Type 3 AC Phase synchronous perm magnet brushless run in reverse...I'm really keen to get rid ofthe gearbox in my project?

this motor will presumably still need gearing down will it ( 14000rpm it says) so ...what do folk use for a reduction gear..only needs to handle 80hp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically all electric motors can run forwards or backwards, that's one of the big plusses.
Ah... I just had someone telling me that certain types of AC motor will not run in reverse. so it's all down to the controller? So next issue is a reduction gear..assuming I need one...who sells such a thing?

·
Registered
165 Posts
most motor controllers will have a "reverse" setting somewhere that can be programmed (for 3 phase AC motors)

DC motors need the polarity to be switched I believe.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
All motors used in EVs can run in reverse, but there are some motors used in non-vehicle applications which are designed to run in only one direction - don't worry about which, because you won't find one in a size you'll want to use.

Brushed DC motors run about equally well in either direction unless their brush timing is adjusted from neutral to advanced, to handle high forward speed better; if advanced they will still run in reverse but not as well as forward.

DC motors with permanent magnet rotors are reversed by reversing the polarity of the supplied power. A DC motor with a wound rotor (series or SepEx) is reversed by reversing the polarity of the power supplied to the field (stator) relative to the polarity of the power supplied to the armature (rotor); reversing contactors (relays) are used for this.

A 3-phase AC motor (either induction or permanent magnet) will run either direction equally well. Yes, the direction is determined by the controller's settings or mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts