DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've begun my Leaf-powered '79 Superbeetle 'vert project and am about to start disassembly of the 2014 Leaf so I can get it out of the driveway.

I'll be using the Resolve-EV controller (arrived yesterday!), so will keep the things recommended in the Resolve-EV online manual to get it running.

I am assuming that with the front end crushed, various dents and scratches around the panels, stained seats, and without the drive stack or batteries, I'm probably not going to get much from the yard for what's left, and I may even have to pay for them to take it.

Is there anything worth keeping, possibly for selling?

My son thinks the navigation system, wheels, and possibly doors might be worth hanging onto. Any have suggestions?

If I take the wheels, should I make plywood replacements for it to roll on, or will the wrecker just drag it onto a flatbed? (put it on moving dollies? should be light without drive stack and batteries)

Is it worth saving sensors for people trying to do a Leaf-build from parts rather than scavenging from a whole Leaf?

thanks,
----mike...

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
221 Posts
Yes the nav and other stuff is definitely worth money. I also saved the seats and seat heater switches I plan to try and harvest them to re-use on my vehicle. The heater is also good for conversions. Wheels headlights and taillights are all money. I got $100 for the carcass of a 13 Leaf at the scrapyard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tires and rims....the wrecker will just drag it onto a flatbed. They normally are special low resistance tires.

·
Administrator
6,323 Posts
If you can possibly make space for it keep the whole thing

UNTIL you have your project car on the road

There will be parts that you don't realise you need - and which will cost you time and money to get - put it in a corner and put a tarp over it

Once your project car is complete and working - THEN scrap the bits you didn't need

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
221 Posts
Good advice if you have the room. I didn't but I did take tons of wiring. Make sure to read the Resolve manual and keep the chassis side BMS plug. Also keep the charger(s) and AC if you want to try and get it working. Isak from Resolve says he's working on adding AC support.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've begun my Leaf-powered '79 Superbeetle 'vert project and am about to start disassembly of the 2014 Leaf so I can get it out of the driveway.

I'll be using the Resolve-EV controller (arrived yesterday!), so will keep the things recommended in the Resolve-EV online manual to get it running.

I am assuming that with the front end crushed, various dents and scratches around the panels, stained seats, and without the drive stack or batteries, I'm probably not going to get much from the yard for what's left, and I may even have to pay for them to take it.

Is there anything worth keeping, possibly for selling?

My son thinks the navigation system, wheels, and possibly doors might be worth hanging onto. Any have suggestions?

If I take the wheels, should I make plywood replacements for it to roll on, or will the wrecker just drag it onto a flatbed? (put it on moving dollies? should be light without drive stack and batteries)

Is it worth saving sensors for people trying to do a Leaf-build from parts rather than scavenging from a whole Leaf?

thanks,
----mike...
I bought a 2013 leaf and harvested the battery modules and J1772 inlet (only). Here is a list of the items I was able to sell either locally or online via ebay or the mynissanleaf forum. (It took me about 9 months overall.)

3x wheels & tire
Passenger Seat
Sun Visors.
Passenger side sun visor.
Radiator lower support
Drivers side air scoop in front of radiator
Top cover (plastic between headlights)
Radiator tank (reservoir)
Lower control Arm
BMS Module (from inside battery case)
Both Headlight Units
drivers side hood hinge
interior light sun glass holder
Continental spare tire rubber refill kit
4 floor mats
Water Pump
DC Quick Charge (chademo port)
Power Window Switch assembly (drivers side)
Cabin Air filter door
Fuse Panel Cover
Antenna Amplifier (and antenna)
3rd (top) Brake Light
Owners Manual/case.
Motor
Inverter
Center Console

Then I sold the rest of the body to a guy restoring a wrecked leaf for around $300.

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
165 Posts
Tires and rims....the wrecker will just drag it onto a flatbed. They normally are special low resistance tires.
Interesting you say that, as I hope Nissan started using better tires than on the 2013 model, ours lasted 18 months (18K miles) and we had to buy new ones half way through our lease, that was very disappointing, that something non electric car related was a failure, the new tires also the exact same type lasted just till the end of the 3 year lease so same 18 months (18K miles), super sad also our AC went out three times and it was the same high pressure hose line bursting each and every time they would replace it and not tell us they replaced it they just said they recharged it so that we could not have a lemon clause on the lease

1 - 7 of 7 Posts