DIY Electric Car Forums banner

What is it? Identify These Components

758 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  piotrsko
Hi,

I bought some used EV parts from an auction. The parts looked like they were pulled from a conversion. Among the parts were a Netgain 9" DC motor, Soliton Jr, and other accessories.

There were a couple of items that I couldn't identify or figure out their function. One is a panel with three Zena controllers mounted. From my searches, Zena is a company that makes portable or in-vehicle welding systems. A couple of the wires coming out of the Zena controllers are connected to potentiometers. The wires are in a wire loom and some have ring terminals at the end. The DC motor had a flexplate attached to it so it seemed that the original setup was using an automatic transmission. I'm wondering if these Zena controllers have anything to do with the automatic transmission. Anyone know what system this is?
Electricity Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Cable Gas

Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Electrical supply Auto part
Font Gas Laptop accessory Bumper Auto part
Gas Cable Circuit component Auto part Wire
Electronic engineering Electricity Electrical wiring Cable Gas
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the Zena website, it is a "solid-state control system allows the operator to precisely and instantly control welding current -- without the need to stop welding -- from fingertip controls built into our electric holder. There is no need to vary engine speed to control welding power, nor does the operator have to go back and forth between the vehicle and the work site to make adjustments to the equipment"

It's a controller used for an onboard welder but what is it doing in an EV? Perhaps the EV had an onboard welder or are these being used to control something else besides onboard welding?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hah, I wanted the parts so badly, I couldn't get myself to boycott the purchase. I hope I don't have to get rid of my slave cylinder. :)

I'm new to ev s and my best guess regarding these Zena controllers is that the previous owner ran a power generator off of the dc motor. These controllers then, either charged the aux battery or powered the car's accessories.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts