DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Would you be interested in purchasing tested EV batteries?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Exploratory Question: Making this thread to see who would be interested in purchasing affordable, capacity-tested, quality batteries pulled from cars. Let me know if you're interested! They would be available in whole packs, modules, or individual cells to accommodate an EV build or any other application.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hows about a bunch more background information on what you're pushing?

Who you represent, descriptions of items involved, where this stuff is physically located and how it gets here and finally generalizing price ranges otherwise I conclude this is a phishing attempt

TANSTAAFL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hows about a bunch more background information on what you're pushing?

Who you represent, descriptions of items involved, where this stuff is physically located and how it gets here and finally generalizing price ranges otherwise I conclude this is a phishing attempt

TANSTAAFL
I was asking the Exploratory Question to just get an idea of what people are looking for. I don't have those specifics handled yet. This is absolutely not a phishing attempt, I am just wanting to see what the demand is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lots of variables here.

Yes, quite a few people would buy fire-sale battery packs.

But, start getting into $5,000 to $10,000, or even more for a battery pack and it will slow down the number of people buying.

Check out what is available on E-Bay.

There was a recent discussion about wrecked Leaf cars that a company is yanking the battery packs and either reselling the cars without packs, or with downgraded packs, and reselling.

Then apparently upgrading aging Leafs for newer packs with added range.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wouldn't say the space is full. But there is competition.

I've noticed looking at E-Bay BMW i3 packs,

There are several 60Ah, 22kWh packs for sale on E-Bay.
And almost no 120Ah, 42kWh packs for sale on E-Bay.

But the other thing one finds is that the newer wrecked EVs are not at all cheap.

What I've seen from modern junkyards is that they cherrypick. So, they'll get in a gasoline or diesel vehicle, and before even letting the vehicle out to the public they yank the engine, transmission, and most of the drivetrain. Perhaps also yank out various computers and electronics. Just simple drivetrain components are worth most of the scrap value of the vehicle.

The same is likely true with the EVs. Battery pack, maybe some electric motors, and that is the main value. Selling doors, trim pieces, etc, is just icing on the cake.

Now, for the DIY aftermarket, at least some of the OEM electronics are being replaced. So, there may not be much value in some OEM electronics that are difficult to repurpose, unless they are an item that frequently goes bad, and isn't locked to the ignition.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Those "cherry-picked" high-value parts you listed are perishable when kept outside in the vehicle.

Four doors off a car can fetch as much as a transmission, so they are not an afterthought...these salvage operators know their business well - little is sold off as "scrap" on a newer model year (like most EVs are).

The eBay crowd has been good at price fixing EV batteries and DUs...Tesla is cranking out Model 3 like jellybeans, yet a good drive unit can't be found at Leaf prices.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I look at ebay at Tesla batteries, I see lots of damage. Why would I risk big bucks on potentially damaged batteries? Then I look at the guaranteed batteries from the usual vendors and I see a lot more cost. Definitely paying for no damage.

My cart dismantling friend says they bid for cars. Said the Tesla are quite expensive $15-$20k, tough for a small shop to make it worth the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I look at ebay at Tesla batteries, I see lots of damage. Why would I risk big bucks on potentially damaged batteries? Then I look at the guaranteed batteries from the usual vendors and I see a lot more cost. Definitely paying for no damage.

My cart dismantling friend says they bid for cars. Said the Tesla are quite expensive $15-$20k, tough for a small shop to make it worth the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right, my model would eliminate damaged cells/modules. Should have this up and running soon, I'll post more on here once that is the case.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I will use chevy batteries as an example: they are modular so a damaged section that doesn't burn doesn't scrap the whole pack. I Can't even compete with other places that have better access to wrecked Bolts or Volts unless I buy the whole wreck. Local battery recycle place won't sell me modules. People selling online look crosseyed at my request for cell voltages.

What will the OP do better?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will use chevy batteries as an example: they are modular so a damaged section that doesn't burn doesn't scrap the whole pack. I Can't even compete with other places that have better access to wrecked Bolts or Volts unless I buy the whole wreck. Local battery recycle place won't sell me modules. People selling online look crosseyed at my request for cell voltages.

What will the OP do better?
Right, I completely understand what you're saying. I will be filling this gap, and I have the means and plan to do so. Unfortunately, I cannot say what that plan is yet, but I will be back to explain once everything is finalized.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Exploratory Question: Making this thread to see who would be interested in purchasing affordable, capacity-tested, quality batteries pulled from cars. Let me know if you're interested! They would be available in whole packs, modules, or individual cells to accommodate an EV build or any other application.
about $200/kwh is what you can reasonably expect. virtually every EV battery will sell for about that. it becomes hard to sell them for more than that unless they are tesla. some models will sell faster than others due to shape and size for uses other than cars. leaf batteries for example are easy to sell as golf cart batteries.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Testing equipment isn't cheap especially when you get to the 100'sof volts level and this would be a business so it should be commercial testing equipment. Not the hobbyist testers being used by many if not most DIYers use.
1)IR internal resistance testing, against factory datasheet (often hard to get access to datasheets)(A,B,C)
2) voltage tests (A,B,C)
3) capacity test (B,C) Do you have the facilities to test a large pack safely. Are the modules and battery packs balanced.
A) if possible at the cell level.
B) module level
C) complete battery pack.
I see the value in this but also I can see this driving up prices. A reseller might buy all the good batteries of a certain model Ev as has happened in Oregon it seems.
MachE modules can/could be bought for around $100 kWh plus shipping for example.
Later floyd

·
Registered
53 Posts
A brand new Bolt EV battery from the GM parts dept is ~$200/kWh, so he'll have to be much cheaper than that. I'm guessing that's the shipped price to the local dealer.
I just looked up a few, it's about $170/kWh from a lot of the ones I can find. If you are going to be verifying every battery and cell that price isn't going to be realistic for resale though. Honestly I don't see much of a usefulness to something like this that isn't already accomplished through eBay though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts