DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just asking generally to see comparatively what's the best out there. I just want to know what car you converted to EV, what kind of batteries you are using, and what range you are getting? This would help me and many others in understanding what cars work well as a conversion in terms of drag (or maybe drivetrains like if awd, rwd, or fwd) or what batteries work best.
For example, if there are 2 Subarus on here, maybe one gets longer range because of the batteries they're using. And maybe someone else is using those same batteries but in a rwd car like bmw and they are getting better range.
From what I understand less mechanically moving parts the better on EV but still, I've seen some awd Subaru's converted before and I think knowing everyones setup might help us find ways to improve our designs.

Please only state your car, your batteries, and your range, nothing else unless describing your setup.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
78 ranger 16 trojan 100 AH fla 1/2 ton, 25 miles above 60f LIFESPAN 2 years
78 ranger 16kwh Volt Lion pack 400 lbs, estimated 40 miles demonstrated 30 miles life span so far 10 years

Good data but technically useless.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
What's the best out there depends on each builder's tradeoffs. There are university kids in solar challenges that get massive range, but you put the car on like a tight pair of shoes.

What you're asking for is nonsense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems everyone on here is more concerned on not helping. The builder's tradeoff's is the point. By comparing what works for us and what doesn't we can find ways to HELP each other. This forum sucks, I haven't seen such lack of caring or sharing knowledge since the Mercedes forums and that's only because they didn't know what they were talking about. im getting a similar but even worse vibe here. Congrats guys I'm off this lazy and asinine forum.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Hey Snowflake,

EVERY build has a different set of tradeoffs. What works for one builder, doesn't for another. There is NO COMPARISON to be made, NO BEST pick of each element of an EV build with which to build your Frankenstein's monster.

Even if you were able to bottle these unicorn farts you seek in this thread, you are not equipped to process the information provided if people even bothered to respond in a respectable sample size.

People are too busy to entertain your mental masturbation in this thread. I hit this forum when I have spare minutes, like now. I don't pretend to speak for everyone or anyone, but I also don't mince words...it's a waste of MY time.

Either do your own homework, set your own build criteria for what you want, ask questions as you go, or watch that the door doesn't hit your ass on the way out. You came here for a reason, but you clearly
lack the determination to get your shit done. Not a good start for something that'll piss you off many times, and drain your wallet, as you bring it to life.

For a forum to work, it's only as good as the contributions you make. You lack the humility of someone knowing very little on the subject, yet are as demanding and opinionated as a two year old toddler.

Any help here is documented for everybody that subsequently reads the info...it's not about you or your problem...information provided here gives everybody insight & knowledge. My ten minutes in answering a question here turns into 16 hours of help for a hundred people so they can get their EV projects started and completed. I can work on a hundred projects via this forum, happy in the thought I contributed to that many builds, a quantity I could never do myself. I can even work on a Lambo conversion for a few minutes, contributing to its build. Which is why we're all here.

Ask an obscure question, you get crickets....meh. Yes, meh. There may not be anyone who knows. It may not be worth anyone's time to answer. Or it may be as simple as you being perceived as arrogant in enlisting someone else's time instead of putting in your own time on something you should be doing yourself.

Ask a dumb or impossible question, you will be told it is stupid, dumb, or not possible, and you need to accept that versus storm off like a little girl because you made up your mind on how it should be done. Like you reacted here.

Grow up and participate in this forum. Do your own work versus tossing it to someone else to do for you. If you can't, you won't be missed....cuz you've added nothing here so far but whining complaints & insults, farming out your own labor to others, treating the place as your own personal help line.

There is no magic sauce of components. There's no soup you can brew from the collective sweat here that will make your build the best. The best is when you meet each and every goal and spec YOU set for YOUR build. There will only be one build on the planet like it...a legacy of success if you persevere.

Stick around. Roll up your sleeves. Grow a thick skin. Share your build experience. Man up.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
It seems everyone on here is more concerned on not helping.[...] Congrats guys I'm off this lazy and asinine forum.
You've been uninformed (okay), and then also ungrateful, too lazy to read when people directly answer your question, and then started namecalling and acting like an asshole in both threads you've started here.

I bet you discover almost every person you interact with treats you a certain way that upsets you, because, you're the common factor in everyone you interact with. Your attitude is going to result in a life of slammed doors and missed opportunities.

For what it's worth, I disagree with Remy, there are lots of answers to this question and it's perfectly valid to ask. Every house, location, etc is unique but you can still ask what people's houses are selling for and combine that with context to make decisions for yourself. It just seems to be a complete waste of time to write to you in particular when your goal in life appears to be a whiner and a victim and won't even read when people do write out help specifically for you.

Door's on your left. Welcome back anytime you're interested in even slightly behaving like an engineer instead of a toddler.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first thread got me started, the only person that directly answered anything was the '76 ranger in this thread. please tell me where else it was directly answered, cause all I got were dick replies. If you want me to be kind to assholes it's not happening

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for agreeing that there is a lot to be gained from this, that's all I was going for. But when everyone else says what im asking for is nonsense or it's pointless or doing their best not to answer the question, who's actually acting like an engineer here?

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
I agree with Matt that the information would be useful. Really useful would be if someone who were interested would collect that information from existing databases (such as EV Album), share it, and ask for additions and corrections... rather than expecting everyone else to do it for them in a forum discussion. Even this forum had an associated database, but it has been inaccessible since Vertical Scope broke it, except in an inconvenient form via the Wayback Machine at archive.org.

·
Registered
1986 Honda CRX (EM57 2013 Leaf Motor)
204 Posts
It seems everyone on here is more concerned on not helping. The builder's tradeoff's is the point. By comparing what works for us and what doesn't we can find ways to HELP each other. This forum sucks, I haven't seen such lack of caring or sharing knowledge since the Mercedes forums and that's only because they didn't know what they were talking about. im getting a similar but even worse vibe here. Congrats guys I'm off this lazy and asinine forum.
I'll post when I finish my car but if you only wait a day and complain no one is helping then I think you're complaining too early. :)

Forums take time. Folks who finish their builds are probably not on the forum 24/7 and probably have their own numbers in their build threads. Unfortunately it appears this topic devolved and someone should just start a new one.

Interesting question though and I was interested in knowing what other folks got from their builds.

·
Registered
1986 Honda CRX (EM57 2013 Leaf Motor)
204 Posts
I agree with Matt that the information would be useful. Really useful would be if someone who were interested would collect that information from existing databases (such as EV Album), share it, and ask for additions and corrections... rather than expecting everyone else to do it for them in a forum discussion. Even this forum had an associated database, but it has been inaccessible since Vertical Scope broke it, except in an inconvenient form via the Wayback Machine at archive.org.
Is there a wiki? We could technically start with just a basic table on a wiki. Or an open google spreadsheet works fine too.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Is there a wiki? We could technically start with just a basic table on a wiki. Or an open google spreadsheet works fine too.
This forum has what the original creators of it called a "wiki", but it doesn't use reasonable wiki-style content management and just ended up as more rambling threads. I agree that a shared Google Sheets document could work, but someone would need to moderate it.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
EVAlbum is the best place to check out others builds. My only issue I had was many of the builds that talked about range were calculated ranges and not real world ranges. At GolfCart speeds you can get excellent ranges from varying vehicles. My original build which is on EVAlbum real world range was 25miles maximum at 55 mph. So go to EVAlbum and have a poke around. There is a world of information there. That is where I first learned about converting electric cars. I asked and read and read and read and read and then built one. Lots of questions in the process. It is a learning process. Enjoy the process. I enjoy the process more than actually driving the build. New build in the works. A dual AC-35 Stacked motor with 144v controllers in my Red VW Roadster.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
No idea of the range I'll get yet. Ill be using Nissan Leaf Modules. So I will be using modules in this configuration. 4P 21S for a pack voltage of 144 nominal volts. I could do this as 21S 1P module and then put those in a 4P configuration. So 4 144v packs set in parallel. They should fit in the Bug. I may end up using 3P instead if room does not allow more. That will be a larger pack than a standard Nissan Leaf so the range should be good. At 3P that will be 63 modules. The early Nissan Leafs used like 48 modules. If I can fit 4P that will be 84 modules.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check the various ev conversions on YouTube, specifically the completed ones since they usually mention real work range at some point near the end

You're gonna see a lot of variation though. Air resistance / coefficient of drag is usually a big range killer you might not expect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The first thread got me started, the only person that directly answered anything was the '76 ranger in this thread. please tell me where else it was directly answered, cause all I got were dick replies. If you want me to be kind to assholes it's not happening
Yeah I was looking forward to seeing some of the responses, but there only seemed to be that one sensible one, followed by a load of "social media"-type nonsense.

¯\(ツ)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts