DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have converted a LCV to EV. There was many components like controller, contactors, couple of shunt etc. To arrange them better I made a box and fixed everything inside. I have also created a PCB for all communications (controller, ignition, BMS etc). This is working great except that its not looking vry professional type. My current box is made of wood sheet. I would like to know what material should I use so that it will be electrically safe and looks more professional at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Nikhilesh Mishra

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the boxes at McMaster seems good but then what about heating issue? all these boxes are closed without cooling fan or anything. What is the general trend in DIY market? do you install cooling fans? my box is loosing water resistivity because of cooling fan but I think there can be significant heat generated and cooing fan is required.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My current box is made of wood sheet. I would like to know what material should I use so that it will be electrically safe and looks more professional at the same time?
There is nothing wrong with wood. It is easy to work with, a good insulator, reasonably light weight. It accepts paint well. If you want it to look more professional just finish prep the surface and paint it. Primer grey, flat black, gloss black, the color of the car are all commonly used. Flat black is good because it tends to hide imperfections in your surface prep. It may be that all you have to do to make a huge difference is give it a couple of light coats of flat black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.