DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'm using the 30 A locking plug, because I could fit it easier than the dryer plug, and I could buy a 25 ft extension cord for generators at Home Depot with matching plug for $65. My pack is max of about 124V at end of charge, so I only draw about 16A from a 240VAC outlet when charging at 30ADC. I also have a PFC30.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That would be a NEMA L6-30, which is a three prong 250 volt with two hots and a ground. I like Leviton products. Their car mount flanged plug is their #2625F.

By the way, doesn't your PFC30 cut back at 30 amps DC due to being thermally challenged? Seems you discussed this some time ago.
I've forgotten the designation (Edit: it is an L14-30C), but it is a four prong plug. If it wasn't dark and pouring and blowing rain outside, I would go out to the (separate) garage and look. :D The charger does cut back in hot summer temperatures when charging at 30ADC, but I charged at that current all last winter with no problem. At 100F it cuts back at around 28ADC. I've started charging at 26-27ADC now, unless I want to do a quick 1 hour or so charge to get back on the road, and the temperature is low enough to run it at higher output. I thought maybe I accelerated the failure of my input rectifier board by stressing it at high temperatures. It would be nice if Rich supplied a derating curve.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That would be a NEMA 14-30 which is the wrong plug type for the application, unless you needed 120 volt along with 240.
The plug is an L14-30C. The PFC30 operates off 240VAC or 120VAC. I have several adapter pigtails to use either. I also run an interlock relay off the 120VAC. These plugs are pricey compared to a "dryer plug" like the NEMA 14-50 or 30, but those wouldn't fit in the space I had, and the $65.00 Home Depot 240VAC/30A generator extension cord comes with this type connectors. Problem is, each of the adapter pigtails requires one of those pricey L14-30C connectors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts