DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Proton Jumbuck GLi running Nissan eNV200 Gear
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about to order a hydraulic crimper and some wire.

Essentially I'm going to extend the CHAdeMO to stock it in the stock fuel filler, the J1772 needs to be longer to get to the front grille (going in a disused fog light hole)

I'll also need to extend the main lines from the battery, rather than cut and join I was just going to replace them wholesale.

So, what size wiring do I need?

Car is a Nissan Leaf/eNV200 as the donor.

Also I assume I'll need contacts for all the plugs too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the same gauge as the ones you replace
That's a great idea, however the stuff that's in there has no ratings on it at all, it's an unknown to what I get 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PDM of an env200 or leaf do not charge more thatn 6.6kW (and in some models only 3.3kW) => calc gauge basing on this.
And would that 3.3kW be a fine basis for the CHAdeMO? As wouldn't that be 50kW? And the motor is 80kW?

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
PDM of an env200 or leaf do not charge more thatn 6.6kW (and in some models only 3.3kW) => calc gauge basing on this.
Why? The output current of the onboard charger in the PDM is irrelevant to the current possible from the CHAdeMO port.

And would that 3.3kW be a fine basis for the CHAdeMO? As wouldn't that be 50kW? And the motor is 80kW?
No.
As wouldn't that be 50kW?
Yes, presumably.
And the motor is 80kW?
The motor power is irrelevant to the charging port cables - the CHAdeMO port is not directly powering the motor at all, let alone at full rated power.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The motor power is irrelevant - the CHAdeMO port is not directly powering the motor at all, let alone at full rated power.
But wouldn't that still come into play when my foot is that to the floor and I'm drawing power through the battery cables?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, yes, the motor power is relevant to the current in the battery to controller cables... just not the fast-charging port cables.
Just looking at them, they appear to be around the same size, and looking at AWG charts (what most people seem to quote wire sizes in), 2/0 and 1/0 are a big jump between each other, leading me to believe they are the same size, there's not a huge disparity in sizes like you'd get between 1/0 and 2/0

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Just looking at them, they appear to be around the same size, and looking at AWG charts (what most people seem to quote wire sizes in), 2/0 and 1/0 are a big jump between each other, leading me to believe they are the same size, there's not a huge disparity in sizes like you'd get between 1/0 and 2/0
American Wire Gauge is an antiquated system used mostly in North America (other regions had their old traditional gauges), but it is the measure most commonly used in small sizes, for residential wiring, and by casual users. It is an awkward logarithmic scale, with each step larger in size (and smaller in AWG number) having a diameter about 12.3% larger than the previous size; that's about a 26% change in cross-sectional area. That's a significant change between 1/0 and 2/0, but I don't know what other people would consider a "huge" disparity.

Cable is available in many sizes, not just the sizes corresponding to the AWG steps. There's no reason that the two cables of interest here couldn't be different yet closer than one full AWG step; they indeed could also be identical, perhaps to allow the use of the same connectors, or to allow them to be protected by the same fuse. In designing an automotive power system (not, for instance, buying welding cable) the measure used will be cross-sectional area (in square millimetres, or for the old folks circular thousands of an inch (mils).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
American Wire Gauge is an antiquated system used mostly in North America (other regions had their old traditional gauges), but it is the measure most commonly used in small sizes, for residential wiring, and by casual users. It is an awkward logarithmic scale, with each step larger in size (and smaller in AWG number) having a diameter about 12.3% larger than the previous size; that's about a 26% change in cross-sectional area. That's a significant change between 1/0 and 2/0, but I don't know what other people would consider a "huge" disparity.

Cable is available in many sizes, not just the sizes corresponding to the AWG steps. There's no reason that the two cables of interest here couldn't be different yet closer than one full AWG step; they indeed could also be identical, perhaps to allow the use of the same connectors, or to allow them to be protected by the same fuse. In designing an automotive power system (not, for instance, buying welding cable) the measure used will be cross-sectional area (in square millimetres, or for the old folks circular thousands of an inch (mils).
Cheers mate, yeah, though I don't know how thick the sheathing is either.

I was more posting here hoping someone had modified the cables on a leaf setup and had a parts list.

Kind of "Oh yeah, I bought THIS wire, and THESE connectors"

Then I can just measure and go "Yep, that's still within the volt drop range of that wire for that load and voltage"

I mean, my J1772 only needs to be around 300mm longer, but my CHAdeMO needs to be around 4,000mm longer, my battery cables only need to be ~150mm longer.

I had thought of cut and join, but that to me seems a hack way, if I'm gonna do it, I don't want extra joins that could fail, so I want to buy a roll of the stuff and redo the whole length.

Hence I was hoping the CHAdeMO length was the same gauge as the battery, and then I can buy say, 15m of it, and get a bulk discount.

Reactions: brian_

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
search for a member Dala he has done extensive work on the leaf. I beleive he add or moved the CHAdeMO porton his leaf.
later floyd
Ahh I'm an idiot, of course Dala would know 🤦

He is the leaf expert.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts