DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, my company often ships heavy items that come on a pallet. One of the restrictions is the truck won't have a lift gate, so the shipper requires the destination has either a loading dock or a forklift. You could work with the vendor and expect to pay at least $100 extra because they will have to send a special truck with a lift gate. That's only if the seller is flexible.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Working with battery packs and attaching the other components to your vehicle, takes some skill and experience. Do you have the skill and experience to do this? Also, working with some battery packs requires special safety protocols with the ~400 Volts used. You usually don't get a second chance after you screw-up at this high of voltage.

Some people have purchased one of these to pick up packs at the freight depot: 1720 lb. Capacity 48 in. x 96 in. Super Duty Folding Trailer
It also makes a good storage/move around tool. You can roll it under the jacked up vehicle when you are ready to attach the pack to the bottom of the vehicle. This may be many months or years after the project is started. Which makes it kind of a huge up front expense and waste, just having the pack sitting around. A better option may be to purchase an empty battery box as a mock-up. Many times, the battery box is just scrapped and available after the individual battery modules are removed. This empty battery box is much easier to move around when the attachment holes are lined-up and clearances checked.

Too many people think if they can just buy the batteries up front, the rest of the project will just fall into place. Again, it probably will take many months or years to finish the project. Unfortunately, I believe this contributes, along with too many vanity and some pretty sketchy battery uses, to the general scarcity and high prices of batteries right now. Also, in the future, there might be better, cheaper battery options available for your project.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
expect to pay at least $100 extra
One thing I've only just recently learned... many municipalities forbid commercial delivery (I presume of a certain vehicle size, the otherwise is okay to drive down that road) in residential areas. You would need a special exemption permit to allow a large vehicle to make a delivery to your address. This has become somewhat more common in the last year with everyone starting a work-from-home business type thing.

Another common thing, in areas that are being gentrified, many municipalities will take old neighborhoods that were originally zoned residential only, and instead zone them as dual-use resi-comm with the idea that over the next 20 years businesses will be buying those homes as they come up on the market, and putting businesses in instead of homes. This happens by municipal decree without making any upgrades to the streets or buildings whatsoever.

I don't think it has anything to do with a liftgate, though that may be an additional concern. Many businesses don't have loading docks. Random examples: 7-11s usually don't, streetside pubs usually don't, most fast food places don't, most motels don't, etc. If their issue was "must have loading dock" they would specify that separately, not word it vaguely as "commercial address".

Sounds to me like it's just to rule out annoying one-off residential customers. Depends how thoroughly they're checking. Most places you have a sole proprietarship be personal decree, i.e. You have a business because you say you do, and it's no different than any other income you earn as a person. Forming a corporation often makes sense for isolation of liability, but that's only a general rule. There's no thing that makes you a business. Tomorrow you're "Mike's Custom Conversions", no registered trade name, no paperwork, and you're a business. You might need a business license to operate in your municipality, but that's generally only if you're selling things so no one there will care. The seller may street view you and see you're a residence, and you can just claim your garage is your business. Then they may want to see your business license. Licenses are usually pretty cheap. You could try saying in your area, you don't need one until you have services to sell, so you're holding off until next year and only designing right now.

It all comes down to what they want and why. Solve the right problem.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had many such shipments. It has never been about residential/business addresses, but always has been about availability of forklift or loading dock, and as a secondary concern was ability for the trucks to get in/out of the location. In half of those cases option to pay extra for lift gate was available.

I would say if there is no way for them to deliver with a lift gate, and there is no alternative location to take that thing to like others suggested, one other option is to rent a forklift from a place like United Rentals. Their equipment rental is pretty reasonably priced, but if you can't pick it up / drop it off at one of their locations logistical fees will run quite a bit.

And as a follow up thought, I'd check if the freight company has an option for pickup at their hub - just go there with a trailer, and have them dump the thing with a forklift.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
There's a store down the road from me, no dock but a decent parking lot,

owner lets me use it to accept such deliveries

I park a pickup back to back, the lift gate lowers then I just slide it into the bed.

Never had a driver say boo

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
And as a follow up thought, I'd check if the freight company has an option for pickup at their hub - just go there with a trailer, and have them dump the thing with a forklift.
I came here to say just that! I've had large & heavy items delivered to my work too. Then take it home in pieces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.