DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I recently got hold of some Nissan leaf cells from a buddy of mine, and I want to make a gokart out of them. My only concern is what type of charger should I use. Would a lithium charger work better over a lead acid charger? Or should I use some sort of specialty charger, considering the makeup of the batteries isn't made of lithium (if so, where could I get one)?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Hi, everyone. I recently got hold of some Nissan leaf cells from a buddy of mine, and I want to make a gokart out of them. My only concern is what type of charger should I use. Would a lithium charger work better over a lead acid charger? Or should I use some sort of specialty charger, considering the makeup of the batteries isn't made of lithium (if so, where could I get one)?
The Nissan Leaf cells are lithium-ion. Every lithium cell uses lithium in some combination with other elements; the Leaf cells (prior to 2016) are Lithium Manganese Oxide (LiMn2O4, or "LMO").

How big will the battery that you expect to build be? These Leaf cells come in modules which contain four cells, with two connected in series so the nominal voltage of the module is 7.5 volts. Several are connected in series to reach your desired voltage; for instance, six modules would give you 45 V nominal (as low as about 40 volts when discharged and over 48 volts when charged). A stack of six Leaf modules could be big, depending on what you mean by a kart.

When you have an idea of how many modules you will be using, then an appropriate charger can be chosen... but generally you wouldn't want the behaviour of a typical charger for lead-acid batteries.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts