DIY Electric Car Forums banner

What would it take to fabricate a squirrel cage motor?

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bacon Throne 
#1 ·
I mean from practically from the ground up. Is it possible? Should it be a single or double? How many headaches along the way? Should I just get a giant hamster wheel to run in and pretend I did it?

Many burning questions, but most important is the first... which is this one after the others: Can it feasibly be done in a home workshop, and be useful?

If it is possible, I just want to fabricate a little one first, to wet my feet. No real application for it yet, but I'm sure I'll cook something up if it works :cool:

#4 ·
...Many burning questions, but most important is the first... which is this one after the others: Can it feasibly be done in a home workshop, and be useful?
I personally think that making your own ACIM is totally impractical. Not only do you need the ability to stamp/die-cut silicon steel sheet to make the rotor laminations, you also need to be able to smelt/pour aluminum to cast the squirrel cage. Rewinding the stator of an industrial motor to run at lower voltage/higher current should present more than sufficient challenge and money-saving opportunity to the committed DIYer.

#8 ·
I'll take any advice you wish offer, thank you onegreenev. Far out as the possibility may be, I'm always interested in pushing what home-built really can be. Even if it does just end up making a nice motorized Lazy Susan, that's one more for the pile of "hey, tried that, didn't work," to help others save time. Or help them make a nice motorized Lazy Susan. A win-win of sorts I suppose :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.