DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found it was easiest to lower the tranny onto the motor like this

But i get a bit of vibration when i test the motor which tells me its not perfect.

I would hate to be one of the unfortunate who break off their motor shaft.

I'm open to any methods so fire away

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I had no troubles leaving tranny in place and slipping motor/plate/clutch/flywheel right onto the tranny shaft. lowering motor from sling hoist very gradually until lined up I left the car in neutral and rotated things around until splines matched and slipped into place before I started tighening plate bolts. Plate (from Can EV.com) did have positioning dowels that I am assuming were precise, so there was really no 'wiggle' once things were together.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I assume you don't have any alignment pins?

This is courtesy of Steve Clunn: Put in undersized bolts and very lightly tighten them. Tap with a rubber mallet to move the alignment while running. Cycle the clutch a few times. Keep repeating until minimum vibration. Take out one bolt at a time and tighten with regular size bolt (might have to drill out the adapter plate some more).

You could also put in locator pins at this point to mark the sweet spot, or repeat the alignment if you ever have to take it apart again.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You may also want to look for balance tabs on any of the ICE components attached to the electric section. they will be about 1" x1" and generally spot welded on. I'm not sure the engines now-a-days are externally smoothed/balanced like the old Detroit iron was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts