DIY Electric Car Forums banner

what's the next step?

6825 Views 34 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  E4mula
It seems like the style of traction motors available haven't changed much over the past 10 years. I can't imagine there's not a new design coming down the line. What is the next big change in design, anybody know? In my opinion the weight has to be the biggest hurdle to overcome. DC motors weigh too much in my mind. The question is can they be re-engineered with lighter components that maintain the same energy as the current components?
I see this same problem in current auto engines. The tech is there to produce lighter assemblies yet they haven't had a good enough reason to force their hand into using it yet. Oil is still too easy to get so the extra weight of the vehicle can be overcome by more power but at an expense of efficiency.

Does the traction motor industry need a large sum of money to get things started? Is there any pressure being put on them yet? Maybe there is a lot more going on than what we see from our view. Do you suppose the traction motor companies already have a good head start but their not showing their hand just yet? I've read on here about companies that have a product but they don't sell to individuals, which seems counter productive to me.
Anyway I'm just thinking through my fingers. It sure would be nice to know what's around the corner.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
312 Posts
Sorry about posting twice, but I was typing faster than I was thinking.

If you use this type motor @ 150kw, it will be approx. 40lbs. Add 75lbs for a pack similar to Killacycle, and another 40lbs for the controller, the whole propulsion system will be approx 160lbs for 200hp cont, 400hp peak.

Now we just need to find a sponsor :D

Dawid

· Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for the info on killacycle, Todd. It means that for a bit over 200lbs you should be able to squeeze out 800hp, or else have 400hp for less than 140lbs. Interesting :D.

BTW, except for the fact that neither the motor nor controller has been designed, we are still talking todays technology. No superconductor or exotic material needed.

Dawid

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.