DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
what about these binary motors they are putting in toys these days, the mini helicopters and such, they have way more power than the motors I played with as a kid, (20 years ago). The motors I see in EV are the old tech. can these binary motors be scaled up?

· Registered
27 Posts
acuatlly i was thinking of a digital motor.

there also the dyson thing:
"
The Dyson Digital motor, code named X020, is a 100,000 rpm switched reluctance (SR) motor, meaning that the reluctance (magnetic resistance) is switched between the pole of the stator to create torque through the rotor, forcing it to spin. The motor spins at more than five times faster than a Formula One engine (19,000 rpm), while typical vacuum motors run between 30,000 rpm and 40,000 rpm. It lasts twice as long as conventional motors because of several factors, including no carbon brushes or commutator.
Dyson’s motor has copper windings on the stator only, which have been overmolded to increase reliability. Conventional brushed motors – the typical motor used in vacuum cleaners – have copper windings on the stator and rotor. Because of the windings being on the stationary part only, the SR motor is more reliable than conventional motors as they have exposed windings on the rotating shaft assembly that are prone to damage."

have a look at one of the toy helicopters that cost around $50 and tell me which kind of motor it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.