DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to the electric side as I'm a forklift technician and previously auto/ diesel tech. Starting to build a EV from scratch with the kids and looks like a good platform to belong too. Starting to get the parts a pieces together as well as building a frame. Any input is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
Forklift motors are one of the biggest items of curiosity on these forums. The forklift motor thread has like 1000 pages.

Any ideas at all what you want for specs, parts, or budget?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Budget of course is as cheap as possible with out compromising quality. I'm starting with a dual 72v 17.6kw setup backed by a manual Chrysler 4 speed and possibly make it all wheel drive. As far as controller's I need to figure out what's available and savvy. I built a small setup for a friend but he went with icon and I really would rather not spend that much

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
I have no pricing set in mind.
Cool, that's awesome to be able to be that flexible. Sounds like you're in for a low-stress build.

It does make it really hard to give you useful or specific advice though, because then every possible combination of stuff could be an acceptable solution to you.

It's hard to guess what your values are, in terms of "without compromising quality", when you also have the constraint of "as cheap as possible". Those two don't reconcile against each other. If you don't define what that means for your context, it's hard to suggest what to do. Some people might define "quality" as "structurally sound is good enough", others might define it as "OEM parts and methodologies only, no shortcut taken, no expense spared". Are you the guy skimping on wire size to save a couple bucks because it's probably fine, or are you the guy wasting money on 1-in-a-million fault protections?

I think what would be best for anyone to be helpful to you, is to do most of the figuring out for yourself, and then to ask very specific questions based on what you decide. Chances are a bunch of replies are going to be "Are you sure you want to do that, that's a weirdly specific choice", but, at least for what it's worth we have the opportunity to be helpful.

Please do document your build here, the lifeblood of the forums are pics and details.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts