DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to buy heat sinks to install onto my Kelly Motor controllers. Any suggestions on where to get these?

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
I am looking to buy heat sinks to install onto my Kelly Motor controllers. Any suggestions on where to get these?
Hi 99,

A google search should turn up many sources. But new heatsinks will be expensive. Might find something on eBay. Or PM me with dimensions and I'll see what I have in my stash. Not giving it away, but would settle for a few bucks and shipping cost.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello,

I just ordered to semi custom heat sink from par-metal.com (very inexpensive).
Looks like they are based out of NJ.

http://par-metal.com/heatsink.php
I am using the HS11-xxxx for my Curtis.

Worth noting.. For the hole locations they prefer drawings in inches.

Been easy to deal with, wish I could tell you how good the end product is, but I just ordered about 15 minutes ago.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the par-metal link, I just got a 2"x12"x7" heat-sink with 96 holes drilled an tapped for the bargain price of ~$90 something, including shipping.

The heat-sink arrived the other day and it is perfect.

I just ordered to semi custom heat sink from par-metal.com (very inexpensive).
Looks like they are based out of NJ.

http://par-metal.com/heatsink.php
I am using the HS11-xxxx for my Curtis.

Worth noting.. For the hole locations they prefer drawings in inches.

Been easy to deal with, wish I could tell you how good the end product is, but I just ordered about 15 minutes ago.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Wow, thanks guys! Need to check into this more once I get the Curtis 1238 mounted up. Not bad for prices actually!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Peggus,
NP, glad to help..... 96 holes? What for? That may increase the cooling surface area but it would also decrease the mating surface area... If I am picturing this correctly (which I am probably not).

Hope mine will be arriving this week. Only 4 holes tho. :eek:

Thanks for the par-metal link, I just got a 2"x12"x7" heat-sink with 96 holes drilled an tapped for the bargain price of ~$90 something, including shipping.

The heat-sink arrived the other day and it is perfect.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rxed the heatsinks today.

Attached is diagram I sent for them to make heat sink. Note they requested everything in English not Metric.

Also a few pictures of the heat sink with the Curtis. Perfect fit.

Now all I need is a gallon of thermal paste.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Question? I have the Curtis 1231c and do not have a heatsink on it yet. I have drove my 88 S-10 144v about 200miles and noticed a "bucking" when I have driven about 8-10 miles. By "bucking" I mean it feels like it shuts down until it has cooled down and then accelerates for a moment then does the "bucking" again. The weather is warming up here in Delaware and not sure if the problem is coming from the controller. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Question? I have the Curtis 1231c and do not have a heatsink on it yet. I have drove my 88 S-10 144v about 200miles and noticed a "bucking" when I have driven about 8-10 miles. By "bucking" I mean it feels like it shuts down until it has cooled down and then accelerates for a moment then does the "bucking" again. The weather is warming up here in Delaware and not sure if the problem is coming from the controller. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt
It is an absolute must to have a finned heat sink and fan on that controller. If you don't it will KILL your controller. It is not the weather. It is the controller and the fact you don't have a proper heat sink on it. Why don't you have one yet? That should be the very first thing you do with a controller. Sink it so you know it will live. It is a big investment and you don't want to loose it early. Sink it or it will sink you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the reply and no, I didn't realize how important it was but I ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. This is what I ordered and with shipping it only cost $37.00. I got it off ebay from @ CTR Surplus
Used/Tested Working

This Auction Is For 1 Aluminum Heatsink
Approximate Dimensions: L12 x W 10 x H 2 1/2 Inches
22 Heat Dissipating Fins
There Are Small Holes In The Heat Sink For Mounting Components (See Photos)
Used In Good Condition.

I hope I didn't destory anything yet. Thanks again. Matt

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Does anyone run water cooled?

If so, where did u get your Heat sink?

I have a small aluminum foundry and have the means to make one easily. Having said that, I am not above buying one if the price is right.

TYVM, MIZ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts