DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips on sourcing battery packs in the UK?

Having no luck window shopping for my build and anything i do find seems to be mega mega expensive.

Thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
Be more specific, both your use case and the battery type desired.

Good packs indeed seem many times more expensive than chinese crap

but end up much cheaper figured per actual Ah capacity and per year.

Not to mention the benefits of reliability, only replacing every few years etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my plan is to convert an E61 BMW using the GS450H Transmission. Currently i just do 20 miles a day to work and back. I was shooting to have 100 miles range (does not have to start out that way).

I have been eyeing up all of the usual suspects, Leafs, Volts, BMW Packs. All of which seem to carry a pretty hefty price tag. I'm not sure if i could use Lead Acid in the beginning or if this would limit my motor capacity.

I have even looked at making my own packs from cells on Aliexpress.

Would you have some recommendations on cheap places to start? I want to get a feel for it before i go and drop £4k+ on decent packs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alex

·
Registered
740 Posts
4 grand is cheap.

Maybe build an ebike first?

Used EV packs are the cheapest way but you need to know what you're doing.

Building from imported cells is more straightforward less risky.

Forget lead.

You have a steep learning curve ahead, spend a few hundred hours googling and reading past threads before buying anything.

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts
I suspect the cheapest way would be to buy a complete Leaf or something that has been crashed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 grand is cheap.

Maybe build an ebike first?

Used EV packs are the cheapest way but you need to know what you're doing.

Building from imported cells is more straightforward less risky.

Forget lead.

You have a steep learning curve ahead, spend a few hundred hours googling and reading past threads before buying anything.
I would much much prefer to snag a a High Voltage Battery from a salvage car, trouble is every one i find is priced almost as much as a working car! Seems the prices of these packs now have some kind of scene tax associated with, everyone knows what they are worth - not to mention people are buying them to use on DIY Power Walls etc.

The builder in me is steering towards building one from scratch, seems like a very long and drawn out process though, especially like as you say im not far enough educated yet.

Another part of the equation is how long this will take to pay itself off in terms of fuel savings (i know thats only 50% of the fun but it still needs considering).

I suspect the cheapest way would be to buy a complete Leaf or something that has been crashed
As i posted above this is the perfect scenario to me, maybe im just tight but everything seems to be massively overpriced, Second Hand packs seem to be almost the same price as new ones - in the places im looking anyway.

Any cars i find online in salvage yards seem to already have the HV Packs gone.

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts
Start looking for a second hand Leaf - if salvage ones cost as much as operational ones then look for a cheap working one
Drive it around a bit - even build your new car while driving the Leaf so you can see what happens when you disconnect things
Forget about the "saving money" part - its a phantom
Converting is about hot rodding

What other types of EV's are out there in the UK

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts
I am going to expand that last comment

A conversion IMHO -
will cost twice as much as a second hand Leaf - and be half as "good"

But that is still OK if you end up with YOUR car - your "Hot Rod"

But given that start point then going out and buying a Leaf - in order to CONVERT it becomes a sensible first step

Just as in the past if you wanted to build a Kit Car based on a Marina or something you would go and buy a Marina

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to expand that last comment

A conversion IMHO -
will cost twice as much as a second hand Leaf - and be half as "good"

But that is still OK if you end up with YOUR car - your "Hot Rod"

But given that start point then going out and buying a Leaf - in order to CONVERT it becomes a sensible first step

Just as in the past if you wanted to build a Kit Car based on a Marina or something you would go and buy a Marina
Thanks for the advice, i have now setup on every auction site i can find alerts for all the cars i would be looking to salvage. Using some quick guesstimations, im sure i can stick pretty close to the following:

E61 Touring (520d) With or Without Dead Engine: ~£1k. The cars aren't very desirable, the Diesel 4 Pot they have notoriously snap chains.
GS450H Gearbox: £3 - 400 on ebay.
GS450H Inverter: £3 - 400 on ebay.
EVBMW Lexus VCM Board: £350.
Charger Setup? No idead on ££ Need to dig further into this, from Salvage EV?
Batteries: I have Alerts setup on sites for, Nissan Leafs, Chevrolet Volts, BMW i3's, 330e's, 530e's Vauxhall Ampera's.

To me the BMW Packs look the best, and the guys on Open Inverter have already done a lot of work with them it seems. Some guys on there have had some total bargains, im probably hoping to pick up multiple Hybrid packs over time (7kwh Each Approx.) where i can find some good deals online.

There is obviously a bunch of other misc. items that i will need to get, but for the most part i have Multiple CNC's 3D Printers, Welders etc so im not too worried about the rest of the work to be done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Browsing the Openinverter forum i have found a group buy for BMW Packs which i will probably do, they are hoping to get it down to £50/kwh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Alex, I will have a 2011 24kwh leaf pack available soon, available as individual modules. Will go on ebay at some point but happy for an offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts