DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide which accessory motor could be used to maintain the stock A/C compressor if I do the EV Conversion. I would likt to know what additional hardware would be needed to do so. The AC motor I am planning to use dos not have an option to link the A/C compressor to it.

Anybody succeeded in doing the same? 馃

Registered
Why not replace the compressor? Seems like a lot of work and space, along with reduced reliability and efficiency, to avoid removing and replacing the refrigerant.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not replace the compressor? Seems like a lot of work and space, along with reduced reliability and efficiency, to avoid removing and replacing the refrigerant.
The car I want to work on is a very modern car with with a sophisticated climatronics system so I only want to relocate the compressed, nothing more.

Registered
The two options that make the most sense:
Have your electric motor running with 700-800rpm idle speed for the compressor and connect it with a belt. This would be slightly more inefficient if you have a lot of city traffic, but you could also add an start/stop automatic as this modern car probably has. Start/stop will stop the air conditioning equally in ICEs and in EVs.

The other option would be to use an electric compressor. While you said that you didn't want that, it might be a simple option for you:
In my understanding, the compressor is toggled by an electromagnetic relay that connects the compressor to the fan belt/motor by some sort of clutch (it may be hydraulic).
So it should be possible to use a relay to connect your high voltage circuit to the battery when you need it.

The rest (air mixing and so on) will be done by the air conditioning system itself. If I'm wrong and the car actually has an effect on the intensity of the compressor, you should still be able to simulate that the same way the car would do it.

If you really want to use a separate motor, you'll have to go for a motor up to 7-8kW since the compressor can use up to 10% of the cars maximum power. I'm not sure if you have the space for such a motor.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The two options that make the most sense:
Have your electric motor running with 700-800rpm idle speed for the compressor and connect it with a belt. This would be slightly more inefficient if you have a lot of city traffic, but you could also add an start/stop automatic as this modern car probably has. Start/stop will stop the air conditioning equally in ICEs and in EVs.

The other option would be to use an electric compressor. While you said that you didn't want that, it might be a simple option for you:
In my understanding, the compressor is toggled by an electromagnetic relay that connects the compressor to the fan belt/motor by some sort of clutch (it may be hydraulic).
So it should be possible to use a relay to connect your high voltage circuit to the battery when you need it.

The rest (air mixing and so on) will be done by the air conditioning system itself. If I'm wrong and the car actually has an effect on the intensity of the compressor, you should still be able to simulate that the same way the car would do it.

If you really want to use a separate motor, you'll have to go for a motor up to 7-8kW since the compressor can use up to 10% of the cars maximum power. I'm not sure if you have the space for such a motor.
Thanks for your input. I will look into it. But I was also wondering if I can't just use the Tesla electric compressor... 馃

Registered
Thanks for your input. I will look into it. But I was also wondering if I can't just use the Tesla electric compressor... 馃
Yes, I'd definitely go for a used compressor of an electric car. Many compressors with ~400V will fit. I've seen some reviews of cars that mentioned their air conditioning was way better than Tesla's is (I think it was from the Golf or Ioniq), you might want to look it up yourself. Keep an eye on the price and power input. The more power it needs, the cooler your car will get.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I'd definitely go for a used compressor of an electric car. Many compressors with ~400V will fit. I've seen some reviews of cars that mentioned their air conditioning was way better than Tesla's is (I think it was from the Golf or Ioniq), you might want to look it up yourself. Keep an eye on the price and power input. The more power it needs, the cooler your car will get.
A W E S O M E ! Thanks for the advice!! I will surely look into it :cool:

Registered
You could find a direct current, low voltage motor of 3 hp and maybe cut a hole somewhere for this large motor to fit, maybe through the bonnet. Then you could strap on about twenty 12 volt batteries that could run such an electric motor, because your car battery would be flat in minutes. Unless you could cobble in a huge alternator capable of supplying the enormous current needed. So instead of directly driving an air conditioner compressor efficiently from the engine, you instead want to double the power drain by adding losses from a bigger alternator, the pulleys needed for the motor, and the huge extra weight of the batteries needed. That鈥檚 how electric cars do it, so it is not so bad because the electric car also runs on those batteries. You could consider pulling out the engine and replacing it with a great big electric motor too. For a normal internal combustion engine it is just ludicrous to consider doing this. forpc.onl jiofi local html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts