DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in the early stages of planning a conversion. I have a 1971 Super Beetle to use, and am based in the UK.

My question is around chargers and BMS systems.

My plan is to use 5 Tesla modules in series to get me to 114V.

I would like to be able to charge the car as fast as possible, and as I understand it, one can have on-board AC chargers at various power ratings for 'fast' charging (3.7KWh up to 22KWh), and potentially one could use the 'rapid' charging offered by Chademo (50KWh).

Firstly, can anyone recommend a charger that would work up to the 22KWh limit? Is it correct that I can use any charge rate lower than my charger is rated at?

Secondly, I understand that the Orion BMS2 can work with on-board AC chargers but also with the Chademo protocol, so is it feasible to use this BMS with Tesla modules and an up-to-22KWh onboard charger, and be able to use 50KWh rapid DC charging instead where available?

(I expect that cooling/temp management of the batteries would be needed, but I don't want to overload the questions in this post).

Many thanks, and apologies if this is answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts