DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to hook up my Zeva BMS to my batteries. The manual says that regular automotive wiring is usually not enough for high voltage traction packs. It also states that I should use between 16 to 20 AWG. I have Chrysler Pacifica hybrid batteries rated for 45ah. Should I just use whatever I got or is there a superior product that I should invest in. Ok Thanks in advance electric friends.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Belden makes good cables with many shield options. 16 to 20 seems larger than necessary, but they may have a good reason if these are long cable runs. BMS monitoring and balancing is a very low current process usually so OEMs use much smaller, e.g. 24-26. A twisted shielded CAT 5 cable might even be a good solution, just need more info on the expected currents.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nissan's battery is all sealed up, so they've got a slightly different situation (no risk of fingers, cut wires, or water intrusion). 28 gauge I think, I've got some of the wire around somewhere. But the insulation is very tough to prevent it getting squished.

Just don't use silicone insulated wires, the silicone isn't tough enough. High voltage rating is probably unnecessary, shielding is up for debate.
The Pacifica batteries have those special BMS connectors which handle 24 nicely, I have some 18 with thin insulation that didn't fit well. Grab some 20 gauge and see how well it works?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I am thinking about this one. You guys like it?

·
Read Only
45 Posts

I am thinking about this one. You guys like it?
Ha, yes, the center conductor may be 20 AWG, but as kennybobby points out, it's the same as the cable for your TV. Shielded yes, but imagine bundling 40+ of these suckers and trying to connect to a plug 1.5" wide. You won't have to worry about interference though.

The other consideration, it's solid core, which doesn't handle vibration and bending very well. You definitely want stranded.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wooo yeah that is definetly the wrong stuff. haha still on the look out for shielded stuff. Home depot has cat5 23 gauge standard networking stuff. looks unshielded thought and I want something between 16 to 20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.