DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this forum ever done any business/purchased from Wilderness EV in Provo, Utah?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats great. I spoke to them on the phone and they seem really knowledgeable and friendly. What type of vehicle, motor, voltage, batteries are you running?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I think they've been doing this stuff for 30 years, so should be knowledgeable. I've heard from a few people that their couplers were too weak at one time, but I think that's improved and was only due to their desire to keep things cheap for people.

I'm running 120V on a 74 bug. ES-31B with curtis 1221C from evolve and quickcharger from cloud. 10 DC29 Marine deep cycles from Sams. Top speed is 70 MPH though I don't usually go over 45. Range is 26 miles to 80% DOD, I usually drive 15-18 for work. Performance is good, but not great. If I were starting over I'd run 144V, but that would have cost an extra $1200.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a good setup. Ive heard the sams club batteries are the cheapest right now.
Ive got a 91 mazda b series truck I just started the conversion on. Have got the ICE, exhaust, gas tank and tranny removed. Just cleaned all the grease and grime of the tranny and ready to bolt on adapter and motor. I'm going 144v with either ADV FB4001 or Warp9. Still deciding on the controller and batteries too. Wilderness EV has a 144v kit with everything except batteries and vacuum pump for $5700=$150 shipping so I may just go that route and use Sams club batteries. Will post pics on this forum soon.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Sams was a pain to deal with, took over 2 months to get my batteries. Hopefully yours isn't staffed by imbeciles.

Obviously marines aren't highly recommended on this site, but at 12V 125 AH for $75 they're certainly the cheapest. Add in the fact that golf cart batteries come with a 6 mo warranty and the DCs have free replacement for 12mo and prorated for 30 I figure I can't lose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never dealt with sams club here, but hopefully they have better customer service.

There is also a Batteries Plus store here that has 6v 215 AH golf cart batteries made by Deka for $100 each with a 12 mo warranty so I may go that route.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
That's a great deal too. $/ah works out less than my cost.

I was going for cheapest possible total cost, and the only alternative I found wanted $25 more for the same battery. Also, I wanted 12v because doing 6 or 8 would force me to lose the back seat and I didn't need much range anyway. Though when Sams pissed me off the 3rd time I was checking to see if there was any way to fit in something else, but all my racks were already made to fit the 12vs and i really didn't want to redo all that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I guess with a beetle you have allot less space to work with. I may go to Sams club tomorrow and see what they have available for a 6v golf cart battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts