DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of cheap industrial motors that say 3000/1700/1200 rpm (different motors), 1hp, 130vdc, 60hz. Would these work with a 120v battery pack for a small go medium sized car? I will be using a manual transmission with it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Would these work with a 120v battery pack for a small go medium sized car? I will be using a manual transmission with it.
It could be made to move a car, slowly. Consider that it takes between 16000 (my RX-7 conversion) and 20000 (my Tesla model S) watts to move a car down the highway at 60 mph (~100 kph). One HP is 746 watts. You are not going to be able to move a car more than a couple of MPH with a 1HP motor. If you had a 21 hp motor you could eventually get to 60 mph in a fairly small car. It might take minutes to get to that speed. You need a lot more than 21 hp in order to accelerate to your desired speed. Additionally you need additional electronics to convert the 120v battery into the AC that the motor needs.

The short answer is that it will not work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To Kknukle,
Sorry the simple answer is no. With the motors you specified it is unlikely tthat you can multiply the nameplate rating.some one might correct me!) The voltage you secified, and the frequency, means that horse power, would be difficult to multipy.
That is unlike battery powered fork lift series dc motors, where many people on this site have used such motors, for example taking a 15 HP mktor and getting mmmm! Maybe 60 HP.
As a point of interest, I am thinking of a custom built lightweight and looking for up to 20 HP continuous and 30 peak to give me acceptable road speed, 50 cruise and 60 mph short time for urban roads.
Have a look on those sites who have used series dc motors, of 24 volts or 48 volts. There is a lot of info on these out there.
Cheers, Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.