DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
629 Posts
Please, I'd bet at least half of the tea partiers are anti EV because they don't understand them. After all their spokesperson is Sarah "drill baby drill" Palin. Republicans have never been known for backing alternative energy or transportation options. Like it or not today's push for EV's is a Democratically driven initiative.
Todays push for evs come from the fact that we now have technology that makes them better than and not equal to gasoline powered cars.
And if the Tea Party hates electric cars because they think it is a democrats pet project we have to show people that electrics are better. Not because we have to sacrifice something to save the planet. Ev people are seen by some as automatically being tree huggers.

· Registered
629 Posts
Typical uptight conservative ;) I'll never object to a chick's ass, unless it's too big :D
It also wasn't an EVworld article to be fair, and Motavalli is a good EV advocate and raises some valid concerns. I can say with the hundreds of articles I've read the majority of negative comments were from those with an obvious conservative bent. Same with the people encountering my EV. The few less than enthusiastic responses, with comments such as "It's still running from coal" and "It only goes 50 miles?" were from the guy with a Carl Paladino sticker on his car.
Sure there are exceptions, and perceptions are changing, but let's not pretend where sentiments really lie.
I have noticed that most of the people who are opposed to EV's are the people who are uneducated people who don't understand them.

· Registered
629 Posts
The only reason I say that is because my dad, who is now in his 70s and a huge fan of the 60s era musclecar years, is hugely opposed to electric cars.
He doesn't really know that much about them, and what he does know comes from garbage on tv. Unfortunately he is the type of person who will not let go of his belief that he is always right and the rest of us don't know what is going on. I have since given up trying to explain it to him. I figure I will just take him for a ride in my 86 Trans Am when I get it done. I am currently looking for a 12" forklift motor to use in a direct drive setup. That should make him a believer.

· Registered
629 Posts
No, what killed it was the fact that it was an endless pit. The technology wasn't ready for prime time yet. The few people who wanted those vehicles couldn't afford them. They were produced in too small a number, weren't sold outside of the few zones you were allowed to own one and were still using old battery technology that nobody wanted to buy.
Now we have lithium, its getting cheaper, and the vehicles are going to be sold everywhere. Not just in California and Arizona. I live in Ohio and I couldn't get one if I had the money anyways.

Besides there are no mandates currently pushing people to have to sell a product that doesn't work well, or at all. Yes there are incentives, but that alone won't push people into buying something that is not readily accepted by the mainstream yet.

Another problem I see with your stance is this:
Making current era gasoline cars and whatnot more efficient also translates into making them cost more and more money. It doesn't make electrics and more efficient cars cheaper, it makes currently affordable cars less affordable to lower income people. They will instead choose to buy and run cheaper older cars that dont run as well or efficient.

An example is myself, my wife and I wanted a new car. So we went out and bought the only new car we could afford, a Toyota Yaris. Almost everything else is close to or more than 20 thousand dollars. Waaaay out of our price range.:(

· Registered
629 Posts
Can't blame that on those (tax and spend) liberals. Most of that debt is from the previous administration and the (charge and spend) conservative congress. Look it up.
No it wasn't. The current people in charge have been there for two years now. They have voted to increase the debt ceiling and have successfully spent more in the last two years than the last 40 years worth of presidents combined.

The debt was not more than 9 trillion when Bush left office. Now it is almost 14 trillion. I know this because

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

is my home page. I have followed it long enough to know that. Don't believe tv pundits. Do the research for youself.

· Registered
629 Posts
Sorry but that is wrong. Bush inherited a balanced budget and 3 trillion dollar debt and ran it up to 13 trillion.
No he didn't........Just because the budget was balanced doesn't mean the country was completely deficit free. All that means is the yearly budget was balanced, we still had a debt.

After I pay my bills and still have money at the end of the month doesnt mean I am completely out of debt.

I agree he took us back into the red with the budget and ran the national debt from 3 trillion to 8 trillion but the next 5.6 trillion was accomplished in less than two years by the democrats who are now in charge.

Bush could not have possibly gave us a 13 trillion dollar debt, because up until later this year the debt ceiling was only 12 trillion; after which the democrats in charge voted back in August or so to raise it another 2 trillion dollars or so.

· Registered
629 Posts
O.K. aside from the fact that this thread has taken on a life of its own I think it should be said that the people on here represent the kind of people we should have in government.

We obviously have conservatives and liberals on the same forum about building their own electric cars and we all seem to cooperate to help each other.

I don't know about any of you but I will not let anybody in government stifle my dreams of seeing electric cars on every corner. I just think we seem to disagree on how to accomplish that. Personally I think,"You shouldn't tell people they are bad, but you should show them there is a better way." to quote John Wayland.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.