DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 240V circuit on a 30A fuse with a NEMA 10-50 receptacle. My Kia Niro can draw 30amps.
1. Can I use a 30amp EV charger or do I need a 24amp charger?
2. I can't find a 24amp charger that has a 10-50 style plug. Is it safe to use an adapter to turn 10-50 into 14-50 style plug?

These are the products I'm looking at. Is this safe? Is there a better way to do this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 240V circuit on a 30A fuse with a NEMA 10-50 receptacle. My Kia Niro can draw 30amps.
1. Can I use a 30amp EV charger or do I need a 24amp charger?
2. I can't find a 24amp charger that has a 10-50 style plug. Is it safe to use an adapter to turn 10-50 into 14-50 style plug?

These are the products I'm looking at. Is this safe? Is there a better way to do this?
I would be curious as to why there is a 10-50 receptacle (can handle 50 amps) on with a 30 amp fuse. What can the wiring handle, 30 or 50? Might be it's wired to 50 amps but is fused at 30 to protect an appliance. Or the wire might only handle 30.

If it's wired for 30 amps, you want 24 amps continuous (80% of max). The big thing is to draw less than the wires can handle (before they make a lot of heat) and to have fuses or circuit breakers sized appropriately to protect the wire and appliances.

If you're not sure what you have, calling an electrician might be a wise choice. With the price of an EVSE ("charging" cable) I would want to figure that out in before choosing the amperage rating.

The adapter will probably work, but I wouldn't use one as my permanent solution, and I wouldn't want to charge at 24 amp if I could charge at 30 (wiring dependent).

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
You can't find a charger using a NEMA 10-50 plug because that type of connection is obsolete (officially "deprecated"). You can still by adapters, but no one should install a 10-50 receptacle anywhere.

The NEMA 10 series connectors do not have a ground pin. That makes them unsuitable and likely unsafe with almost any equipment that you might want to plug into them. That's why they're deprecated.

Why not just install a proper grounded 30-amp 250 V receptacle, and plug into that? A NEMA L6-30 (locking) or 6-30 (non-locking) would be suitable. The plug on the charger cord could be changed, or an adapter used if you can find one.

You could also just install the NEMA 14-50 that the charger is designed for; although a 50-amp receptacle on a 30-amp circuit doesn't seem like a good idea to me, it is routine and is the intended installation of the charger.

The Grizzl-E Avalanche manual says that a ground connection is required, which you can't get from that 10-50 connector. You can hardwire the charger (connect it directly, without using the plug-in cord) if you include the ground connection or you can switch to a properly wired receptacle with a ground pin. If there is no ground wire available at the receptacle so you can't install a suitable receptacle, and you are willing to run the charger without a ground connection (I wouldn't), then the linked adapter would work... but please don't try that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts