DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some trouble with wire sizing of each component in my system. Some of the following is what I have:
  • Curtis PMC 1231C Controller
  • K91-4003 Motor: K91-4003 Motor
  • LiFePo4 Battery pack of 32S 15P (102.4V Nominal and 116.8V Peak Charged)
  • ZEVA BMS setup with 3 12 slot modules
  • Thunderstruck DC to DC Converter in replace of the Aux battery for my 12V units. TSM 96V DC-DC TSM48DC-DC

I have the generic wiring diagram from Curtis that I would like to follow:

My question is, what wire sizing should I use where? The unit I have is limited to 500 amps Max as per page C-2 in appendix C (Very last page of the manual provided).
I am starting the build and ramping up my fabrication here in the next few months and would like to to have this topic covered.

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
Your diagram actually shows the heavier gauge wiring in bold. Those are the ones that have to be thick enough to provide 500 amps.

The others are just signal wires. Technically almost anything would work, your limit is probably mechanical strength rather than electrical conductivitiy. 18g wire is probably fine.

Who's giving you advice to buy LiFePO4 batteries like it's 2011 still?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your diagram actually shows the heavier gauge wiring in bold. Those are the ones that have to be thick enough to provide 500 amps.

The others are just signal wires. Technically almost anything would work, your limit is probably mechanical strength rather than electrical conductivitiy. 18g wire is probably fine.

Who's giving you advice to buy LiFePO4 batteries like it's 2011 still?

I appreciate the feedback. What type of wire would be able to handle the 500 amps?

Also, I picked them up on a trade I had and couldn't pass them up since I had no money in the trade anyways. All the cells so far are good and should do the job just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you haven't sourced the wire yet, I am using # 2 for 600A. I have 3 battery packs, each puts out about 200A (all at 72V), and I have #6 to contactor. It is a 3 phase motor so #6 to the 3 phases. Mine is a motorcycle. The motor gets hot, but the cables work fine. It is watercooled, but I haven't hooked the water system up yet. That is going to be done this next week, it is getting hotter out here in the desert. DC current calculations are really tough to find a straight answer. I have been using #4 on a 400A motorcycle for 5-6 years dirtbike and no problem or even discoloration. The fuse I am using in the DC bike is #12 romex solid wire. I have only blown it once when a drill bit part shorted the B+ to grd. Worked like it should
IMG_6585_LI.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts