DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing up my Orion 2 BMS to 7 Tesla batteries. I'm trying to figure out how to do with the final 7 cell tap wires. The manual says.

"If fewer than 12 cells are populated in a group, unused cell taps must all be connected to the highest potential cell in that group. For example, if 6 cells are populated in a group, taps 6 – 12 all must be connected to the positive tap on cell 6.*"

But, would that mean to connect all the extras to 12, not 6?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I found my own answer in the validator manual

"If cells are skipped at the end of a bank, all the remaining cell tap wires must be tied to the positive most cell in that bank (A common cause for this fault). " So, I think the BMS manual is wrong, or it assumes the cell taps are sequenced differently - which I don't think works.

·
Registered
284 Posts

This is a diagram from a different BMS, with a slightly different number of unused taps, but it illustrates the point. All the unused taps are ganged together, so they are all connected to 6, and also all connected to 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, and 7 in your example 😀.

·
Registered
2 Posts

This is a diagram from a different BMS, with a slightly different number of unused taps, but it illustrates the point. All the unused taps are ganged together, so they are all connected to 6, and also all connected to 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, and 7 in your example 😀.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts