DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

About to start a project with a Hyper9 120v kit and the LF Chem batteries. Looking for some general safety procedures you guys and gals do while working around your EV. Any special precautions you take? Anybody go as far as wearing insulated gloves or using insulated tools? Did you take any extra precautions when first building your EV conversion?I've been learning a ton about how to set this all up, but didn't see anything regarding battery pack safety.

Just curious on everyone's personal steps they take working around their vehicles. Whether it's just using a service disconnect or more. I guess this is mainly when you're specifically working with the battery packs. Either building them or installing them in the vehicle.

Sorry if there is a thread for this already, please point me in the right direction! I saw the On/off thread, but that seemed more about wiring and not about working on your vehicle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just curious on everyone's personal steps they take working around their vehicles. Whether it's just using a service disconnect or more. I guess this is mainly when you're specifically working with the battery packs. Either building them or installing them in the vehicle.

Thanks!
Isolation and insulation, in that order.

Physical separation of battery modules and cells. Isolation between modules so the voltages are non-lethal. And insulation is important to keep the sparky bits away from things like the chassis, tools and the like.

Design safe from the ground up - don't build it so it can't be worked on unless you're in full PPE - that's a bad design.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lessons learned (sometimes the hard way):
Always cover battery terminals during construction even if it's one cell. When working around them it's so easy to drop something and even one high capacity cell puts out an amazing amount of power with a direct short. Not to mention the personal shock hazard from strings of cells.
Also protects other people that may come around and don't understand the seriousness of the situation.

Along those lines - Using a crescent wrench, socket wrench or other tool on your batteries? Cover the handle all the way to the end in heatshrink or electrical tape. Not to prevent a shock to yourself, but to prevent inadvertent shorting across terminals.

·
Registered
418 Posts
heat shrink your socket arms and sockets so you dont accidentally arc.
i glad wrapped my tools ;).
still managed to buzz myself a couple times.
the battery pack needs to be isolated from the body, things like dc converters r also isolated power supplies so theres no direct connection.

all that said, youll have a short between pack negative and chassis through the motor due to dust and carbon buildup etc that u cant get away from.
resistance needs to be a few mega ohms but otherwise its all good.

the couple times i buzzed myself was due to that particular short.
dont put one of those static wrist straps, coz youll 100% buzz yourself.
if you get buzzed it wont hurt, but it makes u drop tools which might get dropped on a place you dont want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good thread especially for new to Ev folks such as myself.

For those that got “buzzed” , what approximate voltage where you handling ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I always wear latex gloves. And old clothes if using vented batteries; you will get holes.

And never work on the system "hot"; always disconnect some part of the traction circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts