DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing well. I’m finally finishing up my conversion of a 1974 VW Super Beetle and it’s reallt turning out nice. Throughout this project, I’ve gotten pretty good with micro controllers. I even made a couple of boards I actually made and sold to a few friends to put in their conversions.

One of them, was a tiny board that is powered by your 12V auxiliary battery and monitors that voltage, and when it gets below a threshold, it turns on a relay. I use this in conjunction with controlling my DCDC converter. I have my converter always connected to my pack on the HV side, and the load side is connected to the 12V battery via a standard 40 amp relay. This relay is then controlled by either the ignion and the car turning on, or by this little board I made.

The job of the board is basically to keep your 12V in shape and healthy. It seems now we have more and more things that have to be powered with the car is off, BMS, hairball unit for zilla, and other things that take small amounts of power and over the course of a few days.

As I said, a few of my friends have started to use this and they really like it, because it’s simple and just easy to connect and versatile in its use. I can customize the parameters such as what voltage threshold it triggers on, and for how long the relay goes on. The board is ultra low power, draws 1-2 mA when measuring and 8-10 mA when the relay is engaged.

I just wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in one of these to make their conversion a little bit easier. I was thinking about making these and trying to make a few bucks on them and using that money to help pay for my college classes and such (I’m 19). Price might be like $30-$35 or so.

Let me know if anyone is interested in this!

Best,

Adam

1 - 1 of 1 Posts