DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking the other day about how I could better document everyone's efforts to share. I decided that it might be appropriate to set up an *gasp* actual website that has more than just the forums for information. If I were to configure a site-wide multi-user blog for DIY Electric Car, would you use it as your primary EV blog?

I'm thinking the link would say "EV Blogs" and I'd add a little list of the latest subject lines somewhere with the forum display so you can see what everyone's been up to. Of course this would be free of charge to members of our community so no need to worry about that.

Each individual author would have their own listings but the main blog page would show chronological listings from all authors just like news headlines.

If at least 4 people say they'll use this, then I'll set it up ASAP.

So, will you blog on DIY Electric Car Blogs?

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The whole point would be for you to write about the new part, what problems you had, what worked best, etc. Most of you who blog in this style will also get loyal readers who watch everything you do and comment on your work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,
I think people who are really IN TO EVs (i.e.: build their own), probably already have a webspace/blog.
I've been driving an EV for almost 10yrs now as my daily commuter.
I use flooded batts as they are the cheapest and easiest to charge. Each time I change
batts, i make little "improvements" in my EV...this time, it's plugging all those ICE holes
and some new paint in the front battery/motor compartment, and then, a new CD player!!

here's my "little blog"
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tbarros/

i'm still in the process of replacing my batts, so i'm not EVing right now :-(
My car insurance is due in November, so I hope to have the EV back to drivable by then.

afn
TonyB

·
Registered
926 Posts
I agree. I guess I spend most of my blogging energy on my website. I tried to keep a blog on myspace as well but it didn't work.
EVconvert has little pages for a select few although there's more information in the Text-Box responses on the page than in the EV description.

Sorry, that probably doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm not with it just yet. It's 7:30am on a Saturday and I have to go to work in 10 mins.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would use it. I am mostly done with my conversion but I did document its construction with over 500 pictures and I could start at the beginning leading up to the present. I still have stuff to do like making tops to cover my batteries inside and vent them, changing some battery interconnects over to flexable braided strap, weatherproofing the engine compartment so I can drive in rain, bellypanning the whole underside. Gonna try my hand at MIG welding aluminum so I can start replacing some steel in some places to lighten it up. Plan on using Lexan plastic for the rear and side glass. Currently I am hacking the lights to do a total conversion to LED lighting. I also want to go to HID lighting which I've heard from a few places uses less electricity..not to mention looks really cool. Lots of stuff to still do! I think it was Sharkey that said a EV is really never done...always room for improvements.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, it seems that there is enough interest in having an official blog community for DIY electric car that I will put it up as soon as I have time. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those of you who got my PM with your login info:

Please write a few entries each so that I have a little content to start the blog out with. I'm going to integrate it with the forums once we have a few posts there from all of you and then do some customization of the blog to make it work out for multi-user collaboration.

Please refrain from posting the blog URL until we've got everything in place.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Greg Coleman-
I am driving mine back and forth to work and am wondering how the upcoming cold mornings will cut the performance.
This morning it was a little chilly and the windows were fogged up inside and out.
I installed an electric oil heater, in the rear seat area and had it on a timer to come on and warm the car about an hour before I leave for work.
Problems arose, when said timer failed to preheat the car!!
I wiped the windows down and started the heater while I did my horse chores.
The heater did a fine job and continued to give off some heat for the 10 minute drive. Cost of the heater was $ 2.00, at a household sale.
Tomorrow will tell...

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coley - I entered the post as you into the blogging system. Check your PM for the login URL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts