DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time poster here. My lawn mower engine blew my car's did, so I decided to try my hand at a lawn mower conversion first. A way of getting my feet wet - or electrocuted.
:)

So, I'm trying to see if I can luck out and get a motor for around $200. If I go much higher my wife is gonna tell me to just buy a new gas mower - but there's no fun in that and I'd rather not deal with all the gas/oil business. Plus, its a good transition into beginning to set my garage up with solar panels.

Anyway, here are the specs:
12v or 24v
DC
3/4 hp
1,800 rpm
50 to 60 amp full load

Any advice on any options similar would be welcome. Basically, I am looking to replace my 5.5 hp Briggs and Stratton gas (blown) motor with an electric equivalent. It takes me about 40 minutes to cut the lawn.

Just for the sake of saving the time on some questions, here are a few sites that I am using as a basis for my project:

So, most anything I know, or appear to know, is likely to have drawn from there.

I know this is not a car (anyone who knows me understand my interest in the whole concept - ask Gavin at kiwiev.com) but I want to start somewhere and this is the closest place my budget will allow me at the moment.

I appreciate any feedback anyone can offer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have a DC motor and controller from a treadmill that may work. It is 2.5 HP i think, i know its a permanent magnet motor...

let me check it...

you could have it for pretty cheap...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a DC motor and controller from a treadmill that may work. It is 2.5 HP i think, i know its a permanent magnet motor...

let me check it...

you could have it for pretty cheap...
Thanks for the reply.

Please do let me know the specs on the motor - I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts