DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
You know I have a GE Motor with an adaptor plate for a VW air-Cooled transaxle...to use this you would need to cut the end of your transmission shaft...

I also have a 11 inch sepex DC Motor that has an adaptor plate welded to it along with a hub.

I also have a kaylor adaptor plate with a starter generator that I might part with...

I could possibly part with one of these three setups... most likely the third one..

·
Registered
175 Posts
You know I have a GE Motor with an adaptor plate for a VW air-Cooled transaxle...to use this you would need to cut the end of your transmission shaft...

I also have a 11 inch sepex DC Motor that has an adaptor plate welded to it along with a hub.

I also have a kaylor adaptor plate with a starter generator that I might part with...

I could possibly part with one of these three setups... most likely the third one..
The GE Motor is the typical one used the 5BT1346B50 Motor ...

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Looking for reasonably priced plate and coupler for my VW conversion.
Thank you!
What do you consider reasonable? Many adapters hold their value quite well and most are not sold cheaply. They are expensive and don't wear out. First we need to know what motor you have that you need adapted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Advanced DC FB1-4001 and I'm on the market for adapter plate.
First, I was thinking to make my own, but if someone wants to sell...

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I have Advanced DC FB1-4001 and I'm on the market for adapter plate.
First, I was thinking to make my own, but if someone wants to sell...
You will be better off buying one. I'd also suggest you use the coupler that EVWest sells that is an interference fit so it won't come apart over time. I'd also suggest you build utilizing your original clutch. Be sure you have excellent brakes because the DC setups have no regeneration available. So I'd at least convert the front brakes to disc brakes minimum. Don't skimp on the brakes, you will need them to be in top condition all the time with a DC system. As soon as you take the foot off the throttle you are freewheeling. No motor braking available. Just know that. I know what it is like to try to stop a DC driven VW with older stock brakes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will be better off buying one. I'd also suggest you use the coupler that EVWest sells that is an interference fit so it won't come apart over time. I'd also suggest you build utilizing your original clutch. Be sure you have excellent brakes because the DC setups have no regeneration available. So I'd at least convert the front brakes to disc brakes minimum. Don't skimp on the brakes, you will need them to be in top condition all the time with a DC system. As soon as you take the foot off the throttle you are freewheeling. No motor braking available. Just know that. I know what it is like to try to stop a DC driven VW with older stock brakes.
Thank you for the recommendations!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello,

Adapters for VW Beetle in the referred store are $975 USD or more. Almost the price of the ADC motor or controller.

I'm using the ADC 9" motor in my VW Bug, I have made this adapters for years. I can sell the adapter for $500, half the price basically. If you are interested, I can send you some pictures.

I still remember Canadian EV adapters being sold in $600USD around 2011-2014. I don't see any reason for the price increase in such simple things.

Retain the clutch but make the flywheel lighter with a machinist, again you can buy it custom made of aluminum and be ready to spend more bucks. Then learn to drive in "freewheel" mode, there is lots of inertia with a DC System.

I can also offer the coupler and stock flywheel already machined to save weight and reduce stress on the motor shaft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts