DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
What is your project? I'm just wondering if a cheaper alternative might work, since that board is pretty beefy.\

EDIT: I just looked at your first video. that's the luckiest junkyard find I've seen. Holy smokes that's some money in parts. WOW.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey jbman.

I guess if you saw the video, you saw what my project is. When I saw that motor in the junk yard I just about peed my pants. Unfortunately it was left outside and all the equipment is bad. The motor and adapter are the only parts that still work.

I plan on using a Prius IGBT. Video 3 shows the board i was making. I though that the P&S would be an easier option. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey jbman.

I guess if you saw the video, you saw what my project is. When I saw that motor in the junk yard I just about peed my pants. Unfortunately it was left outside and all the equipment is bad. The motor and adapter are the only parts that still work.

I plan on using a Prius IGBT. Video 3 shows the board i was making. I though that the P&S would be an easier option. What do you suggest?
Paul's board is very good. I'm using it in my MG Midget right now, and with some good IGBTs it's a monster. Duncan and several others use his stuff. I'm not sure what IGBT is in the Prius, but Paul's board requires three IGBT half bridges, iirc. Is that motor a Warp 9? I dont think getting three suitable IGBTs at that power level would be very pricey, and his board is pretty easy to use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul's board is very good. I'm using it in my MG Midget right now, and with some good IGBTs it's a monster. Duncan and several others use his stuff. I'm not sure what IGBT is in the Prius, but Paul's board requires three IGBT half bridges, iirc. Is that motor a Warp 9? I dont think getting three suitable IGBTs at that power level would be very pricey, and his board is pretty easy to use.

I assume that's your MG on their website? Nice!! My dad had an MG, I liked it but it would have been better without that pos engine.

Yes it's a Warp9. I couldn't find a data sheet on the prius igbt, I probably won't either. Now I need to figure out how to get $300. I though there'd be someone with a botched project or something wanting to get rid of theirs. I might have to wait til after graduation.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
I assume that's your MG on their website? Nice!! My dad had an MG, I liked it but it would have been better without that pos engine.

Yes it's a Warp9. I couldn't find a data sheet on the prius igbt, I probably won't either. Now I need to figure out how to get $300. I though there'd be someone with a botched project or something wanting to get rid of theirs. I might have to wait til after graduation.
I believe Paul sells an unpopulated board. If you're comfortable assembling it and programming the chip yourself, that may save you enough. He has programming instructions and such. This page is a good example of building the controller: https://www.instructables.com/id/200kW-AC-Motor-Controller-for-Electric-Car/

That's the ac build, but the DC is almost exactly the same. The three phases are tied together into a single output for the DC board. There are lots of examples of builds using this stuff in all kinds of configurations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts