DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
The Zap build is very close to being finished. It needs new torque arms and controller tweaking and that is all!

It's getting close to time to start a new build and to that end I have purchased an XM3500i. The body panels are in near new condition with just a small scuff next to the head light. It has been kept indoors except when being ridden. It's in very good condition and set me back $425. Not too bad! The LIFE battery pack is dead. Both front and rear brake calipers leak so they need to be replaced. It has 13" wheels front and back. There is a giant battery box under the center hump. The Zap sucked in this regard. 2 of the 3 battery packs are over the back wheel, up high and the weight is not centered and down low. This creates handling issues and the front wheel is much too light. The XM3500 will not have those issues. Installing a battery pack won't be done as a single unit. It has to be installed as blocks to get it into the box. This is a little inconvenient, but not overly so.

GOALS:
1. 131v or 32S
2. 120 mph
3. 120 miles range
4. 0-60 faster than the Zap
5. Mid-drive: I might have to give up this idea. The battery box stops just short of the rear tire.
6. 40kw +

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Time to start on this thing! The Zap is done except for controller tweaking.

I want to take off the back wheel and crack open the motor. It's a hub I have never seen before. I don't know...big enough windings, big enough magnets...it was used at 3500w, maybe it can handle a skosh more current? :) The scooter has 19S LIFE in it or 68 volts which is toast. Just for vetting the scooter as it is now, Id probably use 16S LIPO or 66v to power it.

Stuff I know doesn't work:
1. Front and rear brake calipers are gone. They leak.
2. LIFE battery is a PITA to get to, but it is dead so it needs to come out.

Stuff I want take apart:
1. Hub motor
2. Motor controller
3. Life battery pack

Every new EV build is an exploration. I'm always curious about things and want to take them apart to see how they are constructed. This tends to take up a fair bit of the initial exploration time! Once that is done, I start evolving a plan in my head about how I'll implement things. Invariably that plan never make it to paper without many revisions in my head and many more while it is being written down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts