DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Long time lurker first time posting. I’m trying to see if I can find a budget electric motor for my Dune Buggy without spending more that I would for a new 1600cc.

I found this Yale forklift here locally for $400 but I’m not sure what motor it has and if it would work for my project. The post says it will need a new battery.

Here are a few pics of the forklift for identification.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’m doing a dune buggy as well..
The best thing to do is search eBay if there is not a forklift scrap yard near you.
On eBay search “fork lift motor”. I would use a 9” motor or better.. there are some fairly priced motors there but you might have to do some machine work on the shafts and the adaptor plate fabrication...

What voltage do you plan to run??

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If it needs a new battery, but still has the old battery...

Lead-acid is worth $0.20-$0.30/lb last I checked at a scrapyard.

If the battery is partially usable, a forklift salvager would probably pay more than that for it.

But if all you want out of it is the motor, it's going to cost you a bunch to transport and dispose of it (it probably weighs 5 tons).

Buying a whole forklift is not the easiest way to get just a motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m doing a dune buggy as well..
The best thing to do is search eBay if there is not a forklift scrap yard near you.
On eBay search “fork lift motor”. I would use a 9” motor or better.. there are some fairly priced motors there but you might have to do some machine work on the shafts and the adaptor plate fabrication...

What voltage do you plan to run??
Great question. I’m still in the research phase. What do you recommend? Is there a place that makes an adaptor plate?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts