DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Not sure where to post or if anyone can help?

I have a few yasa 400 motors and invertors/controllers, some used/some brand new.
Has anyone used or had experience with them before?

Any thoughts on what to do with them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you figure out what to do with them, or do you still have them?

Where did they come from?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
The "pancake" shape (very short for the diameter), typical of axial flux motors, might make them suitable for mounting in place of the clutch and bellhousing on a conventional transmission, allowing the entire engine space for battery in a conversion of any conventional longitudinal front engine car; this is handy if trying to convert one of these cars with minimal modification of the body. On the other hand, the multi-speed transmission is unnecessary in most applications of these motors.

The pancake shape would also be useful for anyone wanting to mount two of them to separately drive the left and right wheels on the same axle, without making the combined drive units too wide to fit.

On the "out there" end of suggestions, if you're into aviation they would make reasonable direct-drive motors for propellers on light aircraft. Pipistrel uses the similarly sized Emrax motors in their electric models.

Of course the obvious suggestion is to sell them - they're well-known and expensive, so could probably be sold quickly if offered for a lower than usual price... especially with a matched controller.

·
Registered
37 Posts
While the Yasa motors are not the most power dense available (other axial flux designs like those from Magnax are better in that regard), but getting hold of them is a problem. Hence I am interested in whether the OP still has them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm still interested in the lot of the motors, but need you to figure out how to ship them to me here in The Greatest Country in The World™ ** which is where we left it off, iirc.

They are kinda expensive (the Model 3 is making most motors out there next to worthless), sucky & clunky compared to other motors out there, which is why I think nobody really latched onto them for production (that I know of). Such is most stuff that comes out of a university.

I'm a hoarder and collector/builder of weird stuff, which is why I'd consider peeing away part of my inheritance on them.

** Until India came along, our, now, leper colony had the Greatest Covid death count

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
They are kinda expensive (the Model 3 is making most motors out there next to worthless), sucky & clunky compared to other motors out there, which is why I think nobody really latched onto them for production (that I know of).
They seem to be somewhat popular in custom and experimental applications for which regular production EV motors are not available new (since they are only supplied to OEMs), and particularly the pancake format is desirable. The only production application that I can think of offhand is the bizarre Koenigsegg Regera, where YASA motors are used in an unusual hybrid configuration with a torque converter transmission; in that case only the engine-side unit (normally operating as a generator) is a YASA P400, with P750 motors for each rear wheel. The electric side is fine but the mechanical (including torque converter) side is so stupid that even Koenigsegg has not used it on another model; the subsequent Jesko has a fully mechanical multi-clutch transmission, although it may be back in an even more bizarre form in the coming Gemera. Koenigsegg only builds a handful of units of each model, so they barely count as production vehicles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts