DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YZF600R EV Conversion
Day One

I began researching this conversion on the 1st of January 2012, initially I intended to build my own system, motor, controller etc but whilst searching on the web I noticed quite a few websites and the TTXGP. Armed with this info I found out that I could buy kits and there are dozens of forums and websites with plenty of information and parts to buy. Below is the chronology of my build.

11/03/12
My Thundercat, sadly I lost 2nd gear so decided to replace engine with EV conversion.

Naked bike, fairing removed, tank removed and drained, cooling system and oil drained

Note the cardboard I used for a template for the motor drive sprocket.

11/03/2012 motor removed

Yuk what a mess!

Side profile shots to work out how to mount the motor.

23/06/12
Front sprocket ordered from Electric Motorsport

14/07/12
Chain #50 ordered from Electric Motorsport
Foam ordered for mock up batteries, controller and charger

18/07/12

Foam mock up received

Fairing refitted to see how batteries, motor, controller and charger would fit,
100AH batteries a tight squeeze to get in. There really was not enough room

19/07/12
Ordered some foam mock up batteries for 60Ah batteries which have smaller dimensions
21/07/12

Petrol tank bottom cut out.

Still trying to fit 100Ah batteries inside the frame

22/07/12

100Ah batteries too big for 72V, finally set up with 60Ah mock up

23/07/12
Ordered kraft board to use as mock up steel work for battery cage

24/07/12
Changed orientation of batteries 2,2,2 to 2,3,1. This gave more space to allow charger to fit under tank and room for controller.

25/07/12
Battery installation sequence
With bottom cage welded to the frame
Insert batteries 1 and 2
Fit bottom lid and bolt to bottom cage
Fit middle cage and bolt to bottom lid
Insert batteries 3, 4 and 5
Fit middle lid and bolt to middle cage
Insert battery 6
Fit top lid
26/07/12
Kraftboard arrived, started building battery mock up

03/08/2012
Motor ordered from Quadmotion ME0913

20/08/2012

Motor arrived today!

25/08/2012

Motor mounted with template made of MDF

Decided to place controller under the seat, looks like I will be ordering a Kelly Controller KBL72701

03/09/12
Bought chain laser alignment tool and scissor stand from eBay

06/09/12

Started making template motor mounting brackets out of MDF and gave them to my younger brother. He knows a firm who can make them for me.

11/09/12
Finally worked out size of motor mounting bolts, UNC ordered them from Westfield Fasteners

23/09/12
Won 0-5kOhm pot off eBay, seller said it didn’t work with his controller as it was only 2 wires. On receipt I opened it up and soldered third wire to pin 3, works fine. Need to Dremel it to stop arm brushing outer casing.

30/09/12
Stumbled across Kelly controller KBL72601B on eBay, £305-bargain.

1/10/12
Kelly controller sent link to KBL72601B controller program.

03/10/12
Ordered 14 pin connectors from PoleVolt Ltd
Ordered J1 and J2 cables from Kelly controller
Worked out connectors required for motor, Delphi connectors

12/10/12
Ordered Delphi connectors, 5 pin and 2 pin from UK mouser

13/10/12
Controller programmed
Found old Laptop power supply to provide power to controller, it’s great finding junk that is useful!

19/10/12
Original batteries I was going to use were too expensive to import, I stumbled across Jozztek’s website and ordered some Turnigy 5000mAh batteries instead.

Spent a lot of time working out the circuit diagram, decided on simple is best.

23/10/12

Batteries arrived

8/11/12
Ordered contactors and emergency disconnect from Albright International

26/11/12
Ordered 2A fuse, 400A fuse and fuse holders from Kelly Controller
Still waiting on my motor mounting plates, they were expected today!

04/12/12
2A fuses, 400A fuses and fuse holders arrived from Kelly Controller

8/12/12

Front motor mount received complete with drawings, thanks to my brother and Dowson Food machinery Ltd.

09/12/12
Motor mounted with front plate and chain aligned.

10/12/12
Contactors arrived

15/12/12
Second motor mounting bracket delivered by my brother, looks good
Ordered SW80 and SW200 mounting brackets along with lugs for 72V cables

16/12/12
Started laying out the controller, contactors and throttle on MDF board

Had to come up with a design for the throttle cable adjuster so out comes the pad and pencil!

I took inspiration from my sons BMX bike then mocked it up with some MDF.

The throttle position had to be moved further to the back of the bike on the tray. I wanted to keep all original equipment as stock so I can order new parts without worrying if they will fit.

17/12/12
Mocked up with throttle cable attached

Ordered aluminium angle for throttle cable mounting from eBay

Video of throttle in action

19/12/12
Welding cable and aluminium angle delivered
Ordered new throttle cable from eBay, the push cable was frayed.
The throttle cable position and pot box need to be moved further to the front of the bike as the cable is stretching when the handle bars are turned to the right.
I will fit some sort of spring mechanism either to the throttle pot arm or push cable as a back throttle close device.

20/12/12
Ordered some aluminium rod, P Clips for my throttle attachment design and a throttle return spring.
21/12/12
Albright brackets and lugs arrived; throttle return spring order was cancelled due to being out of stock.

Ordered a new spring from eBay complete with L bracket

Started drawing out battery tray and mounting frame

Throttle cable arrived

22/12/12
Ordered crimp terminals and new tester leads
Fitted new throttle cable
Began mocking up the battery tray frame

23/12/12
Aluminium bar arrived
Fitted new throttle cable
Designed throttle cable nipple attachment to throttle pot arm
Continued mocking up battery tray
P Clips arrived but I don’t think I will be using them.

24/12/12
Mocked up the battery tray

Amazing what you can do with cardboard!

27/12/12
Throttle return spring arrived, I think it’s a bit too strong but will see when I mount it!

29/12/12
Crimp terminals delivered

Diodes and resistors fitted Throttle return spring fitted to solenoid

Charger and DC –DC converter mocked up, will check fitting tomorrow. This will fit under the fuel tank.

30/12/12
The dc/dc converter and charger fit easily under the fuel tank, guess I’m committed to the converter and charger now.

01/01/13
DC/DC Converter ordered from Kelly Controls
Started wiring up Kelly Controller J2 cable, fuse holder and solenoids.

02/01/13
Ordered some more welding cable
05/01/13
Welding cable arrived

06/01/13
Started modifying the wiring on the bike

07/01/13
DC/DC converter arrived

08/01/13
Started connecting pins to dc/dc converter plug, bought some more cable from Halfords.

10/01/13
Started drawing modified circuit in Microsoft publisher, had an idea to use the clutch lever and clutch switch. The clutch switch will be in series with the throttle switch so if either is opened the throttle will be disabled. I will think on this more once I have everything connected up.

This is a modified diagram from the Haynes manual.

The contacts auxiliary contacts from the SW80 contactor will be connected to the neutral light. This will tell me that the “Ignition is on”. It is only when I press the start switch will the controller be powered up.

The batteries will connect to the bus bars with 4mm bullet connectors, I am getting these specially made pre drilled with 4mm holes to a depth of 4mm. The male and female connectors will be brazed to the bus bar.

12/01/12
Modified the motor mounting C brackets as they were fouling the frame
Ordered two M10 190mm hex head bolts for mounting the motor
Continued modifying the battery tray mock up so I can fit 8 by 4
Filled in the site survey for the EVSE and sent it off.

13/01/13
Battery tray modified, a much better way to secure it to the frame

16/01/13
More measuring up for battery mounting, acrylic battery covers, aluminium square bar and angle ordered. Battery box dimensions finalised, I will ask a contractor to fabricate it for me.

17/01/13
Resistors arrived; I will have a play over the weekend.

19/01/13
Aluminium square tube arrived.
Connected up the inductive sensor, it is a Telemacanique XS112B3PAL2. The blue cable is the ground, the black is the signal and the brown is the 12V power. I then placed the sensor against a running drill bit on my battery drill and the RPM gauge registered. Very pleased with that result, now I need to fabricate the sensor bracket and fit it to the motor mount. Resistors not required for now.

21/01/13
Perspex delivered today.

22/01/13
Aluminium angle arrived.

23/01/13

Aluminium angle cut and fitted to bike and box section fitted.

26/1/13
Fabricated motor rpm sensor, some minor adjustments to be made to get good clearance from the chain.
Emergency Disconnect mounts fabricated; 26mm hole just needs to be drilled out.

03/02/13
Ordered Charger

06/02/13
Charger delivered

10/02/13
4mm bullet connectors ordered.

11/02/13
Whilst waiting for bits to arrive and fabrication of my battery box I turned my attention to the charging point. I started investigating what I needed and if there was any legislation that dictated what I needed. I was considering an RCBO, commando 240V socket and kWhr meter. This would be connected to a separate 32A mcb in my garage. Mt garage has its own consumer unit so it is ideal. Any way further web searching revealed various companies and utility suppliers have versions that can be installed and there seems to be a standard. As luck would have it the East of England, the county in which I live in, is offering free installation of charging points subject to a satisfactory inspection. Who knew? The company is POD Point Ltd; I filled in a simple application form which was emailed to me and now await the site visit.

Of course there is no such thing as a free lunch; the conditions of the installation require information on usage, charging times, durations and costs to be made available for OLEV (Office for Low Emission Vehicles). There is no personal data that is transmitted I am assured. Seems no problem to me so I will wait and see what the outcome is.

13/02/13
Bullet connectors arrived, good quality.
Aluminium plate and sheet ordered.

20/02/13
Aluminium plate delivered
Got a reply back from Pod-Point, my application for a 100% funded EVSE has been approved and now I am waiting for an engineer to contact me. I am told installations will start from the 11th of March!

27/02/13
Bus bars ordered, expect delivery in 2 weeks.

07/03/2013
Bus Bars arrived, they look good.

10/03/13
Prince Build contacted me regarding Pod Point installation; I scheduled this for Thursday 14th.

11/03/13
I ordered the HVC/LVC breaker board and 2 off 5 series HVC/LVC boards from Jozztek.

14/03/13
POD Point Solo II Charge unit installed

HVC/LVC breaker board and 2 off 5 series HVC/LVC boards arrived

16/03/13
Bus bar connectors soldered, only one bullet connector ruined. Many thanks to Jozzer who gave me some sound advice.

Disaster, my Turnigy 5000mAh batteries have 5.5mm connectors not 4mm. I based my connectors on the Turnigy batteries from Jozztek which are 4mm but I bought the batteries from Hobby King which are 5.5mm!

Ordered 3 pairs of three from Wheelspin Models which are a different type to the 4mm ones, I will have to de-solder my bus bars and drill out the holes to 5.5mm.

17/03/13
Ordered 3 pairs of 5.5mm bullet connectors from Align-Trex , same type as the 4mm.

18/03/13
I redesigned my bus bar arrangement after being prompted by a user on Endless-sphere.

There is no need for the intermediate bus bars, this will save me money and weight.

18/03/13
Battery box arrived.

20/03/13
5.5mm bullet connectors arrived, 7mm x 7mm holes drilled into the bus bars and soldered in place.

I also tested my batteries again, 7 of the 8 packs indicated 19.2 V which is 3.84V average, and one pack indicated 17.43V. Unfortunately one of the cells in this pack was only 2.02V. I have ordered a LiPoly balance charger and I will try to recover this cell.

26/03/13
Balance charger arrived Turnigy Accucell 6

27/03/13
Started balance charging Pack 8, cells 1 to 4 were good and went straight to 3.96V, cell 4 was lagging behind but recovered to 3.75V. I shall see if I can recover it.

30/03/13
Various items ordered 10 awg cables, Anderson connectors and a hydraulic crimping tool.
Batteries balanced charged, the cell in pack 8 would not go above 3.84 V. I will use this pack for testing and order some new cells next month. The remaining packs were well balanced however.

04/04/13
Anderson connectors and crimping tool arrived

06/04/13
Anderson connectors for HVC/LVC breaker board crimped.
Ordered some brass screw bolts for the battery connection to the bus bars.

08/04/13
10AWG red and black cable received and crimped to ring and Anderson connector.

10/04/13
Brass screw bolts and washers arrived, the 30mm screw bolts were too short so I ordered some 50mm ones.

10/04/13
Charger fuse holder and 4 spare fuses ordered eBay.

12/04/13
50mm set screws arrived and fitted.

13/04/13
Charger fuse holder and 4 spare fuses arrived. Crimping tool broke, cheap one anyway.
Ordered some more 35mm x 8 lugs for the motor and emergency stop button and prepared more power cabling.

14/03/13
Continued wiring the 12 V circuit

20/04/13
12V circuit wiring completed

24/04/13
72V wiring completed; 2A in line fuse holder cable open circuit so I had to replace it. Controller powered up but red fault light flashing. The sequence was 1,2,4,4. Error codes from the manual indicate 1,2 Over voltage error and 4,4 Motor locked rotor. Looking at my settings I set the motor overload to 74V, my batteries at full charge is 84 volts and I was operating at 82.6V. I will adjust the controller over voltage limit to 84 and see if the faults clear tomorrow.

25/04/13
Motor still not spinning up, suspect the throttle pot is faulty.

26/04/13
Took the throttle pot apart, it is a two wire pot which explains the open circuit between pins 1 and 3 and 2 and 3. I will buy a pot from my local electronics store to test my circuits.
27/04/13
Eureka. Motor spins up, I have sourced a replacement pot but they are all in the states. Cost only $18 but shipping costs exceed $80. I will try and source in the UK.

28/04/13
I decided to order J1772 connector, pot box, inertia switch and various connectors to complete the wiring.

30/04/13
J1772 connector, pot box, inertia switch and connectors arrived and fitted. I taped a temporary screw to the shaft of the drive sprocket and set up the RPM sensor. Fired the bike up and got 5000rpm. I will probably weld a small metal lump to the drive sprocket shaft for the rpm sensor to pick it up. I have decided how I will weld the bottom angle to the frame so will start to progress that and tidy up the wiring.

I also ordered an inductive sensor for rpm measurement, this will give me a spare as I am unable to source the M12 x 1 hex nuts.

01/05/13
I ordered some cable management tape and a 3 way Econoseal connector for the rpm sensor.

Also order an IEC plug for the charger to connect the charge plug to.

02/05/13
RPM sensor, tape and Econoseal connector arrived.

04/05/13
I continued tidying up the wiring and found a way to secure the lower aluminium angle to the frame without welding. I need to order some more Econoseal connectors and fleece anti vibration tape. The IEC plug arrived and I connected it to the charge plug. I also began fabricating the new filler cap out of MDF.

06/05/13
Tidied up wiring, connected inertia switch plug to loom, connected temperature gauge to motor thermistor, hopefully it should work. I cancelled my bike insurance as I am no longer covered for this conversion. Tomorrow I will call some insurers to see what costs I am looking at.

07/05/13
MCE will provide insurance once they have a V5 so I need to get the bike MOT’d and inspected.

08/05/13
Connectors, aluminium angle tape and wire strippers arrived, more work carried out on the loom to tidy things up. Will get the angle cut tomorrow and attempt to bolt on the lower battery frame.

09/05/13
Angle cut and bolted to the frame, holes drilled in lower battery tray angle, more work to do tomorrow.

13/05/13
Chain fitted

Speed sensor fitted, bit of a tight fit, I will probably make some adjustments to get better clearance from the frame.

16/05/13
Trial controller assembly tray mounting brackets made. Tidied up various connectors and made a bracket to hold down the DC/DC converter tray. Went to start the bike up but the main contactor would not pull in. I had to strip back all my pretty wiring harness to trace the. It turned out to be a poor inline crimp which was giving me high resistance. Any fault fixed, motor span up then stopped and I got an error code 4 blinks then 1 blink. I will go to bed now and deal with it later today as it is now 01:00 in the morning.

17/05/13
My sons 14th birthday, the fault code was overvoltage at power on, I had set it to 84 V. My fluke was indicating 83.4V. The battery pack is a 20S2P which at 4.2V per cell will yield a maximum of 84V. My last balance charge on the 11th of May resulted in 83.75V. I updated the max voltage setting to 85V and took the bike for its first spin up and down my drive way. There is a big lag from when I twist the throttle so some tweaking is required there.

Now I need to cut the controller assembly and DC/DC converter trays, and make up some more mounting brackets for the trays then it’s MOT time.

18/05/13
I set the throttle pot up as per the instructions, response from opening has improved. Bolted a cross beam to the aluminium angle for the controller assembly to be fixed to, made a bracket for the emergency stop and inertia switch.

Test rode the bike again which was good fun.

I fitted the battery box lid that I had mocked up and made the cut outs for the cables to run through. The fairing was bolted back to the frame and everything fits beautifully.

I will begin work on mocking up a front sprocket guard, do some test cut outs for the controller assembly tray and dc/dc converter assembly tray.
19/05/13
Front sprocket guard mocked up.

This is how I get access to my batteries.
1. Remove fuel tank

2. Remove dc/dc converter and charger tray.
3. Remove Controller assembly

4. Remove battery box lid

5. Remove bus bar holder

22/5/13
Connectors arrived for SW80 and battery terminal 12V negative and fitted to bike. Cut outs made for the controller and dc/dc converter tray.
Throttle clip for throttle cable fabricated

25/05/13
Aluminium angle for battery box lid received, aluminium plates cut for controller assembly and charger assembly. 5 Series parallel board arrived, batteries connected up and installed in bike.

27/05/13
Controller and DC/DC converter, charger assembly competed.

Battery box lid fabrication in progress

29/05/13
Finished making the battery box lid.
Disaster, an errant bolt had got lodged between terminal A and B- on my controller, loud bang and black smoke.

30/05/13
I ordered a new controller, ammeter, voltmeter and J1 cable from Kelly controllers. I tested the charger with the 13Amp 3 pin plug and it all worked. I need a vehicle charge controller to use my J1772 EVSE in my garage.

31/05/13
I began fabricating the plug in housing for J1772 socket, bought some hinges for the fuel flap and ordered an AVC2 vehicle controller for the charging circuit.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts