DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Zapino Zap - rebuild

12608 97
blank
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

· Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
The front battery pack is now complete with the right BMS. Several layers of PET enclose everything. In a previous picture, I showed the temporary ANT BMS in that opening. The DC-DC sits there and gets good air flow without the ANT BMS in the way.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello I just bought two zapinos for 50$(including shipping to my door.:))

One is exactly like yours with the blue motor, I was able to get it spinning with one controller, and figure out which hall is which, it runs good on the stand.
Sadly it doesn't have much torque currently with only one controller on 84v, although going downhill i found it promising. looking forward to getting second controller in. The rear tubeless tire was left sitting flat and doesnt hold air nowr, do you have any recommendations for tires for the stock rim?

The second zap scooter has horizontal dropouts, I have motor coming in soon, a qs motor 12in.

I dont have any of the plastics for the bikes, and no seats, and only one seat bucket.
Waiting on moped plates from the mvd, cool little scooters!
Will upload pics once i get more progress

· Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
The Nucular controllers and LCD will be going away. I'm tired of the bullshit I keep getting from them and will NOT be using their products in the future! 10 months of ZERO progress on their controller issues!!! Enough is ENOUGH! I don't recommend using Nucular! If you have issues, good luck getting support! I'm actively looking for other FOC options so I can get rid of the severely limiting Nucular controllers that don't work right. I should be doing 0-60 in sub 5 seconds and seeing peaks of 40kw. Instead I do 0-60 in 6.7 seconds and never get above 20kw. The controllers can do it, but they won't run the motor right. FEH!

I needed better USB charging. QC 3.0 charging is now on board. It won't deliver the 65 watts my phone can handle, but it will do 9v and 2a and that's the basic QC 3.0 spec.

The old magnetic phone base was too weak and I've had phones come off several times now...so I got larger and stronger magnets. My phone will not pull away without tearing off the back cover. I know because that is exactly what happened and I had to glue it back on! Slide the phone off and even that is not easy.

· Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
AVOID NUCULAR!!!
Vasilly and Dimitry at Nucular are 100% useless and have NOT provided even BAD ideas on how to fix the motor stuttering issues. I'm seriously pissed off at them and they called me a dickhead for getting mad about the LACK of support after 10 months! I have bought 11 controllers from them for myself and others. The best they can do is call me "dickhead"! I sent back 2 when they died mysteriously for no reason I could have caused. They tried to charge me for warranty repairs!!! Just yesterday they sent out an email to everyone stating they have redesigned their controllers to fix the design problem that caused those controllers to die!!! GRRR! I'm the dickhead? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!

Nucular is seriously behind the cadence they set for new firmware releases. 2018 to 2020, every couple of months was a new firmware release. The last new firmware was August 2020...a year ago. I've reported 10-15 bugs to them since August 2020...no new firmware! Never mind no firmware fix for the stuttering issues!

I can't prove it since I have no evidence or even heard a rumor. I'm in the USA and they are in Russia. I readily admit I have observed some patterns and am making conclusions that may be wrong. I think behind the scenes they had a really smart guy working for them. I think he wrote all the firmware and did the major hardware design work. From 2018 to 2020 there was rapid development in their controllers. I think probably something like August 2020, he left Nucular for whatever reason. This would totally explain the lack of further firmware updates and lack of further controller development. It would explain why their BMS development has come to a total stand still! It would explain why Vasilly and Dimitry are so useless! They are the "front men" and not the brains of the company who is no longer there.

· Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Last night...

The Zap scooter is 100% done except for the Nucular controller issues. I mostly tooled around my neighborhood starting and stopping over and over again. The idea was to tweak the controller PIDs to get better motor performance from the Nucular controllers.

Not much progress or improvement last night. I tweaked and fiddled with PIDs and got 20 more phase amps that didn't stutter too badly. I have to stay at 160 phase amps to avoid all stuttering. 300+ phase amps is what I should be doing!

I think since I have fiddled and fiddled and fiddled with the PIDs and other settings that it is time to go back to factory defaults, start over from scratch and see if my changes are really better or not. It's been a couple of months of fiddling with controller PIDs and I no longer know. Did I really gain 20 more phase amps last night? Am I improving motor performance at all? LOL! I know more what stuff does now so there will be less guessing and fiddling.

· Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
My friend in California and I have been doing the Nucular song and dance together for the past year. Tonight we were talking about other options like VESC since it's pretty clear that Nucular will never pan out. That digressed into new names for them...

Vasilly is now Vasdickly
Dmitry is now Dickmeatry
Nucular is now Fuckular

We had a good laugh! I hope you do too. I'm seriously tired of the Fuckular BS! The arrogance and ignoring valid questions is ridiculous! I cant tell you how many times I was told "I'm spamming" when I ask questions and get ignored over and over again! GRRR!

· Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
I tried ooooone more time with the dip shits at Fuckular...
Same story...don't respond to questions, are condescending and arrogant all the time, won't address problems and can't be bothered to address anything I tell them! Bow and worship, bow and worship...that's about all they respect! I can't tell you how many times Vasdickly has said I'm a spammer! Seriously dude?!

Here's a clever idea for you:
1. BE LESS CONDESCENDING!
2. BE LESS ARROGANT!
3. WHEN YOU TELL ME TO DO SOMETHING, I WILL ASK QUESTIONS. ANSWER THEM!
4. WHEN I GIVE YOU NEW DATA, RESPOND TO WHAT I PRESENT TO YOU!!!
5. A YEAR SINCE THE LAST FIRMWARE RELEASE? THAT'S A BIT MUCH!
6. FIX YOUR CONTROLLER ISSUES ALREADY!!!

I'm sooo done with those arrogant assholes! This was the LAST attempt at trying with them!

· Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
682 Posts
I saw this bike on Saturday also at the EV meetup and I have to say I was really impressed. It's a totally useful bike with tons of range and speed. Really you just need to get the controllers working properly. I forgot to ask, do you have a J1772 plug or have you thought about adding public charge capability beyond just 110V?

· Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I bought one of the 30 amp chargers found here.

Since it is 110v or 220v, I can use it for J1772, 220v drier outlets or 110v outlets. Assuming it is a reasonably good charger, this will let me have onboard charging with a high degree of flexability. I looked around to see if anyone was using them and didn't find anything. I don't know, maybe I'm an early adopter? Maybe they have been explored already and they are a steaming turd? I've dropped $255 on a 30 amp version and it will be here in a couple of weeks. I'll know more soon...

· Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The charger arrived! It's making 82.3v, not 82.9v. This puts each cell at 4.11v...so just barely high.

I believe I found the manufacturer of this charger. The seller was NOT remotely helpful in this regard and insisted that the charger could not be set to some other voltage. I disagree...they got it set "somehow" and these chargers can be set for use at all sorts of voltages. OF COURSE they can be adjusted!

It's a bit larger than I imagined. I'm not sure how I'll mount it onboard the Zap. I don't think I have a space that is large enough. Losing the handle will help, but not a lot. I've bought parts so I can make up a Y cable for plugging into my drier outlet. This will give me easy access to 30 amp 220v power for the charger. I'll see about setting up J1227 on the Zap once I have the charger mounting worked out.

What we all want to see...the guts! The 2 JST connectors are for external options I opted to NOT get. I thought they were stupid and poorly executed so I didn't ask for them.

PIC16F1936 micro controller. The 7 pin connector is the programming port. I've never messed with PIC programming, but I bought a PICKit3 so I can give it a shot. This is the only way that I see of changing the output voltage. I'm pretty sure it can be adjusted down to about 60v and up to about 90v. Maybe it uses a voltage divider to set the output voltage? I haven't spent any time analyzing the IC's on the control board to determine if this is the case or not. I really think output settings are programmed in the PIC.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.