DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1970 Triumph Spitfire. The last year for the two little bumpers on the rear that are just for looks. This will be my second build. My first build was to hot rod a Miles electric. I put in a geo metro transmission and went back to a DC system. I got that little Miles car up to 70 mph. Not a good idea. Glad that car caught fire. Now it makes for a good story that does not start with, hold my beer and watch this.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the EV bug had bitten me and I did not know it. While attending the local EV club here in Seattle our president Steffan stood up and said he had a good friend selling his partially converted Spitfire and that the workmanship was good.
I was not looking for another EV project.
And I was not a fan of LBC ( little British cars ) How could a car with 57 hp be any fun. That thought was just leftover high school mentally.
It took me two weeks of looking at it on craigslist to break down and buy it.
I now have a new respect for LBC's. I love them all. Just like the Italian designer who designed her said. the lines are smooth and sexy just like a woman.
This is what I want to look like ( someday )

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is reality.
And here is my brother wondering where all the crap came out of the garage is going to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The body and the car are in a whole, in good shape. The PO did a frame off restoration and did ok.
He installed the old monster Baldor motor that came with the Solectria ac 55 system out of the Ford Transit bankrupt/ ripoff thing. (Pre Siemens)
He went without a transmission and had a custom driveshaft made from the motor in front to the Spitfire rear end. He designed it and built battery boxes for the blue Calb batteries. I remodel the battery boxes to hold the new little blue Calb batteries. Now I have a pack of EnerDel batteries that I have fit into the little car. Funny how the Calb's are now the lead sleds.
I have to get this project going before the EnerDel will be outdated.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your project progress- I LOVE my E-Fire! Differential is out of it at the moment, and driveshaft to have it balanced too, but the EV systems are still working wonderfully. Great car- those earlier round-tail versions of the Spitfire are really lovely, so you'll have a lot of fun with your car! Good luck and post lots of pictures!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to post pitchers of my motor but the damn computer will not let me. I know it's not operator error

1 - 8 of 8 Posts