DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just setting up my Zilla Z1K (Elithion BMS and Thundersky batteries).

Everything seems okay when I first start the car - the contactors close - when I press the HEPI pedal the motor starts turning (car is jacked up on all 4 wheels until I am comfortable).

After a short period (anywhere from 2 sec to 10 sec) the Zilla Error Light comes on, with a 1133 error (Lost Communication with controller during use, either direction).

I tried replacing the ethernet cable between the Hairball and the controller (it also has a choke around it) - even tried a new cable in a metal sheath/grounded conduit) with no difference.

The Zilla directly controls the positive contactor (with a diode as per the manual) - the Elithion BMS has a FLT output which is normally grounded - this controls the ground side of the +Ve contactor relay).

any ideas?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you seen 1113 error? If so you need to reset to default settings and then reset your settings. Versions prior to 2.12 settings get corrupted and strange things happen.

I would try to reset to default to see if this corrects the issue.

Charlie

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other errors - just 1133 and sometimes 1134.

After digging a bit more, I think that the Elithion BMS is issuing a fault (maybe because there is noise being induced into the com wires and it can't talk to the cell boards anymore? - a whole other story...). The FLT results in the opening of the negative contactor while I was "driving".

Is it possible the 1133 error occurs due to an abrupt opening of the negative contactor?

·
Registered
66 Posts
You could remove the BMS connections and see if the error still occurs.

When the error occurs does the main contact disconnect?

I bet its noise if it happens only while your drawing current or a loose connection. What about placing a diode on the line from the BMS to the hairball?

Charlie

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thought I read in the manual somewhere to not replace the chord between the zilla and hairball. I could be wrong but thought I should mention it.

Any chance electrical noise is getting into the connections?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I will try and use the original LAN cable - a long shot I would think. I could not see anything in the manual about this - it just says use the ferrite cube (which I am).

The BMS is getting a communication error - this is due to noise getting into the BMS wires. I have a few improvements to make to solve this... This fault condition results in the opening of the negative contactor (by removing its ground connection) - the positive contactor is still closed until the Zilla removes it...

I also will add some status lights using the auxilliary contacts in my EV200 contactors - this way at least I can see which contactor opens first...

I can try and bypass the BMS and see if the Zilla works... Still though - if the negative contactor opens, why would this result in a 1133 error in the Zilla?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I will try and use the original LAN cable - a long shot I would think. I could not see anything in the manual about this - it just says use the ferrite cube (which I am).
Now that I'm home I looked and couldn't find that in the manual either:( Swear I read it somewhere. Maybe it was on cafeelectrics site or I dreamed it up:rolleyes: Pretty sure I read it though.

I would think the negative opening up would case a low voltage condition and error that way. But hard to say. Make it open once and see what it does. (Though for precharging you'd want the negative to be closed prior to the zilla closing the main contactor.)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To close the loop here - what was happening was the negative contactor was being opened (by a BMS) by removing the ground on the negative contactor coil - for some reason this resulted in the 1133 error.

With the BMS bypassed (by hard-wiring the grounds on the contactor coils) the Zilla works great!

Also a home-made LAN cable (with the ferrite cube) worked fine (at least with the wheels up on the car) - no more Zilla com issues.

Now to find the source of the BMS communication issue (induced noise) and to look more carefully at the shielding on my wires... I will post my initial setup of the Elithion BMS and the Zilla in my build thread here: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/2001-rev4-build-thread-37532p11.html

·
Registered
370 Posts
Glad to hear you are narrowing things down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts