DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Zilla 1133 Error?

2024 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Thaniel
I am just setting up my Zilla Z1K (Elithion BMS and Thundersky batteries).

Everything seems okay when I first start the car - the contactors close - when I press the HEPI pedal the motor starts turning (car is jacked up on all 4 wheels until I am comfortable).

After a short period (anywhere from 2 sec to 10 sec) the Zilla Error Light comes on, with a 1133 error (Lost Communication with controller during use, either direction).

I tried replacing the ethernet cable between the Hairball and the controller (it also has a choke around it) - even tried a new cable in a metal sheath/grounded conduit) with no difference.

The Zilla directly controls the positive contactor (with a diode as per the manual) - the Elithion BMS has a FLT output which is normally grounded - this controls the ground side of the +Ve contactor relay).

any ideas?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No other errors - just 1133 and sometimes 1134.

After digging a bit more, I think that the Elithion BMS is issuing a fault (maybe because there is noise being induced into the com wires and it can't talk to the cell boards anymore? - a whole other story...). The FLT results in the opening of the negative contactor while I was "driving".

Is it possible the 1133 error occurs due to an abrupt opening of the negative contactor?

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I will try and use the original LAN cable - a long shot I would think. I could not see anything in the manual about this - it just says use the ferrite cube (which I am).

The BMS is getting a communication error - this is due to noise getting into the BMS wires. I have a few improvements to make to solve this... This fault condition results in the opening of the negative contactor (by removing its ground connection) - the positive contactor is still closed until the Zilla removes it...

I also will add some status lights using the auxilliary contacts in my EV200 contactors - this way at least I can see which contactor opens first...

I can try and bypass the BMS and see if the Zilla works... Still though - if the negative contactor opens, why would this result in a 1133 error in the Zilla?

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To close the loop here - what was happening was the negative contactor was being opened (by a BMS) by removing the ground on the negative contactor coil - for some reason this resulted in the 1133 error.

With the BMS bypassed (by hard-wiring the grounds on the contactor coils) the Zilla works great!

Also a home-made LAN cable (with the ferrite cube) worked fine (at least with the wheels up on the car) - no more Zilla com issues.

Now to find the source of the BMS communication issue (induced noise) and to look more carefully at the shielding on my wires... I will post my initial setup of the Elithion BMS and the Zilla in my build thread here: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/2001-rev4-build-thread-37532p11.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.