DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m in a little bit of a pickle. I bought a zivan NG3 charger second hand that was configured for my 120 volt pack pb and wired 230 volt input. My problem is that I have access to a 110 volt charging station at work. According to the service folks at zivan, the ng3 is 230v or 110 v input only and not interchangeable. Any thoughts as to how I can adapt/ use this charger at a 110 volt station. My thoughts are to buy a 110-220 volt converter and use this at the 110 station, and use my 230 volts at home. The problem is that it’s input would suck 40 amps on a 110 line and I can’t imagine any public charging station that is going to provide that kind of current. I think I will probably have to 1. Return the unit to zivan and accept their credit and buy a 110 unit, or 2. Buy another 110 volt unit wire it next to the 230 unit, and have the ability to use either one for in the field charging……………….. input/ ideas? (No pun intended).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Reckon your better off buying a 110v version. However, if you can manage to find a 110-230v transformer (we do have the opposite here in the UK), then you could turn the output current of the Zivan down so it draws less juice from the mains..

·
Registered
341 Posts
Lou, I got a Zivan NG3 at 230V Input / 136,8V Output to charge my 120V battery pack.
It gives a current of 13,3A out and takes about 8A on the input side.
If you use it at 110V in, there should be not more than ~18A current I guess ... not 40Amps.
Perhaps someone who uses the charger in US could confirm what I assumed.
Ask Dimitri, he got one too, I think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had same problem on a 144V dc Pb system with a 240VAC NG3.

I added 3 x 8A 48v Pb in series scooter battery chargers for 'opportunty charing' at work.
Each of scooter chargers drew about 3 A AC, so the combined draw was under 10A AC. I got topped off after 4-6 hours at work.
Mark.

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are a few chargers that accept 120 through 240VAC. I bought a 2kW Elcon for exactly this purpose. It may not be as efficient or reliable as the Zivan, but I've got absolutely no complaints yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts